Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Days Off Work

I thought the week would never end! My first 5 straight days work week in quite awhile. Funny, but I find my pain is worse on the days I have off! Also being sleep deprived, the first day off was all about catching up on sleep. Must be a nurse thing, because every nurse I work with sleeps the first day of their off days. Then, it's time to do all my errands, wash, do manual work on my car, (nothing huge, just adding coolant and cleaner for the front windshield,) and hope the beeping stops as my car loudly tells me about every 5 minutes that I need to add wash fluid, like it is some emergency or something!! lol Also cleaning the house, picking up needed items at the store, and finally shopping today for new scrubs and new nursing shoes!! Then back to work.

My pain doc told me that distraction is one of the best ways to not focus on my pain. Ergo the fact that most days I have worked, my back has done really well. A few days it's been quite high in pain levels, and that is when I just have to deal with it. Work in pain. I'm already getting used to it! Work has definitely helped in my focus on being busy and that I am every day at work. Being the charge nurse of a wing is a lot of responsibility. I'm the one that everyone comes to when there is a problem--family members, the hard-working CNA's, the other nurses. Taking all the doctor's calls, and also calling them for orders, to let them know how a patient is doing; from lab results to need for antibiotics when we see a UTI, or get back a result of MRSA. That was a real drag to see on the board when I got back after 2 days off, that this certain patient had contracted MRSA in her wound. What is MRSA? Methicillin-Resistant-Staphylococcus-Aureus. Why was I not happy to see this?

If a wound is resistant to Methicillin and all the 'cillins', it needs to be cultured to find out what type of antibiotic can be effectively used. It is now known as the 'super bug', because it has become resistant to many antibiotics. The germs are winning in this one. And they continue to be resistant to more and more of the antibiotics. It is something that needs to be addressed quickly and efficiently. Isolation is used, and anyone entering the area and anyone touching the patient must be gowned, gloved, and mask worn. I just don't want to see that strain in any other patient in our facility.

Hey, I was writing about my days off, and here I am going to nursing again! oops.

So, today I am off to the doctor to see what he can do for a blister on my leg that is about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide, 1 inch high. How did I get it? I have NO IDEA! Every nurse that saw it said "That's a burn!" But I didn't burn myself! I did nothing that I know of to that area, especially burning such a large amount of skin, I would remember that! So, I have a mystery 'blister', although I will wait for the doc's diagnosis. It needs to be drained, as since Sun. morning when I went to get coffee, and felt something hurting when my jammies rubbed against my leg, and I looked and almost fell over when I saw this 'thing', I've been waiting for the holiday weekend to be over, and the doc to have a spot for me. If I could get a picture on here, you would know why I am so flipped out that it is even there, and it is BIG.

After that visit, I am very excited to know I will be getting my first paycheck tomorrow, and I'll jump the gun by one day and shop for some new scrubs. The ones I have date back to my days working in '94-'01. I wore street clothes with a lab coat for the next 3 years in Hospice. Since those days, the style has really changed. Guess they follow the styles of clothing. The scrub pants are lower rise now, just like the jeans, and the tops are not big, billowy things that make me look quite a bit bigger than I am! The tops have gotten much tighter, not unable to work in of course, just nicer to the figure. And shoes...oh my nursing shoes are gone...gone in a move, who knows? I wore running shoes for years, and now the shoes are also much lighter, also the clogs are popular and comfortable. Makes my running shoes feel bulky and heavy. So that will make me feel much more pulled together at work to have some new, fresh scrubs and shoes. Working Hospice, I wore street clothes and a lab coat. Now I'm back to nursing 'clothes'!

Time for me to get ready for the rest of the day. I wish for you all a low or no pain day, and if you have a day off, I suggest a little extra sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things are going well, except for the blister. Is there a mark on it that might indicate you were scratched by something you were allergic to? That's happened to me (although never anything that huge.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shauna,

    One of the odd signs about this blister, not only the size and the not burning myself, is the color. Dark amber-ish, not the translucent white/pink of a normal blister. It broke in the shower, just washing it very gently--it drained almost all the way, and it looks bad underneath, like infected skin from the look I got. I covered it immediately, and expected to see the doc. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I was unable to make it today, so I'm going in on Friday before work. There are so many wonderful nurses that I work with, especially the treatment nurse, (a job I did there my last year with them!), who would know the best dressing to use, ect. It hurts now, and is throbbing and uncomfortable when my leg is dependent. I need to raise it. Crap. Sorry. Just really don't need an infection right now.
    About the scratch, like you, I have been fighting an undiagnosed skin disorder for into 2 1/2 years now. I will wriote you about it. Who knows if it's related? Showing up so suddenly was the most interesting I thought. The skin on top showed no sign of a bite or scratch....But I know I am allergic to what I know is causing this skin problem.
    Wow, long answer!! Thanks for caring sweets, I hope you have a nice evening. I'm going shopping now....ugh, this gal is not a shopper! But the scrub store has it all in one place, shoes and all. My back is high on the scale right now, so I'm putting it off for a bit. Will miss the traffic too. You know exactly what I mean eh? :-)
    'wtyl', and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That blister sounds very odd. Hope your doctor this morning was able to figure out what's wrong.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.