Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Chronic Pain is Showing

I suppose for as many of us that understand every day pain, there are just as many that have either no idea what it is, or many in my life that have no idea that I deal with it daily. Or at all.

I must realize that I do not wear a sign on my forehead and one on my back that says, "I suffer from Chronic Pain." The other nurses I work with have no idea unless I TELL THEM! I also realize that again I, and others that fight this battle of pain, are being judged on our outside. Remember the old, "But You LOOK Good!" comment, and way of thinking. If I am walking into work with a smile as I usually do, am dressed nicely, hair out of the way for work, fixed up well, and a hint of makeup so I don't scare anyone away, why would anyone even have the word 'pain' associated with me? So again, it takes those of us that experience pain, to tell and educate those around us that are in our lives, what chronic pain is like. What it does to me. At home, at work, on a date. It is all my life, my hours, my minutes. Living in a world that no one knows of until they are told. I have let go of all expectations in my life. My years here have taught me that!

How are we to inform everyone that crosses our path for more than a few moments, that I am hurting? That I cannot bend over to look at that one patient's back, take that one blood sugar sample, that one 'ouchie' that needs to be looked at. I am not a lazy nurse. I have bent, squatted, and cried later in private as the pain comes surging back; or cried because the pain has not left. Yet. And may not leave that one day. I have written before that on my days off, I am hit by pain 100% harder than the days I work. Is it truly distraction only? Is the pain there but just not noticed because I have been handed 12 follow-ups from the am shift and I need to call 5 doctors before their offices close? I have 2 hours to fit a days worth of calls into. Most of the time, I get out of rounds with the nurse leaving, get report from them, and handle all the CNA's that are either there with questions or deal with call offs. All this while the minutes tick away and the docs get closer and closer to leaving their offices.

Having lived with one of our docs for a decade, I know the docs side of things. The calls that would come from the exact place I work, at the oddest hours, and with the stupidest things. Not that any report to a doc is stupid, but cmon, a lab result that is not that high or low at midnight? We've been in bed trying to get some sleep as his pager would go off, I'd hear the call and who had called, as he'd return the call, only to be told something that truly could have waited till the morning. This is what I try and pass to the nurses now, that I have seen the other side, very very close, and I know the docs are not going to answer the calls I am asked to make. And I have now gone off my main topic a bit!

My pain is showing. I have been offered another position at work, passing the meds; yet I can not push the cart without pain. I have wanted to push the carts around when I got a minute at work, but that minute has never come, and I've yet to try it out. Since my DON knows about my pain, and hired me knowing about it, she now needs me to get a note from my pain doc saying I can push, pull or lift a certain amount of pounds. I know myself that the carts are not going to be the answer. It is how can I make them adapt to my pain that is the true answer. Pull a stool along with me is one idea, in case I need to check blood sugar, requiring most just to stand and bend to the patient's height in bed, while I could try using the stool. I may need to sit down for a few minutes if that is even possible, while many patients wait for their pain pills, some putting on their lights to ask for them when I would not be in their area with the meds yet. Which requires stopping what I am doing, and preparing the meds, walking them to the patient. I do not know if that is my answer at work. The desk has been good for my pain, although it has reared it's ugly head a few days at work, not responding to my meds, or the distraction of work.

Can I adapt? Can I keep the ball rolling? Can I keep my job? Of course I can keep it. It is how I can make my job adaptable to my shortcomings physically that is my biggest problem right now. I will think of anything that is going to help me be more flexible in my job. Oh, to be 30 again. To go back to the days before the surgeries and procedures started. The days when I had yet to really feel the Osteophytes. Before I had total Spinal Stenosis. Before the bone growths had gone into my spinal cord in several different levels of my Thoracic Spine. But those days are past. I will not look back and wish. It is time to figure out a few interesting adaptations for my job.

I'm a strong-willed person. And I love my profession. It is the times I see myself in my patients that really scares me. When I feel that I could easily be in that bed, awaiting pain medications, yet knowing it is not my time, I know that I must tap into my will. I have done it all my pain-filled life.

And I will not give in now.

10 comments:

  1. Oh how I remember the days that you are experiencing now. I too, loved my job. and I, like you, was good at it. It was a job that I lived in for 30 years.

    Working gave me a sense of belonging. It allowed me to feel that I was accomplishing my reason to be on this earth.

    Fifteen years into my job, the surgeries became more and more frequent. And, by the 27th year, so did my absence from work. I actually thought I had ten more year to work (silly me).

    The pain that I was once able to (sometime during the day) get some control over never left me. I was taking more and more pain medication. And as a result, I was putting the people around me, as well as my life in jeopardy.

    I walked out of my job knowing that I had done all that I was going to be able to do there. I would never be back. The pain was excruciating and I could barley make it to my car.

    When I arrived home, I sat in the car, inside my garage, waiting on the strength to pull myself up the stairs into my home. It never came. My son came into the garage and helped me to my room.

    Do I miss it? You betcha! Would I go back into the work force? No! The stress causes the flare ups to be more intense. I am on so many medication to control so many illnesses, that I can't even drive.

    Blogging is my outlet, but it takes forever to put my thoughts together. The stress of having a deadline to do this is out of the question.

    Yes, I do understand where you are. We, who suffer with chronic pain, will try anything to adapt our jobs to our condition. We don't want to give up the carers we have earned and promotions we have worked so hard to get.

    Lazy hardly describes us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shauna,

    Every word you said resonates with me! I literally have goosebumps right now from reading this post. I am so sorry for your pain, frustration, and (I'm assuming...)exhaustion at how challenging the simplest-seeming things can be.

    Like you, I fought HARD to stay in the traditional workforce for MANY years. Unfortunately, I fought TOO HARD and my body has not recovered from things I did 8 or even 14 years ago at various jobs.

    I'm now 39 and disabled. I won't lie to you: it's not fun. I try to laugh and make the best of things. I try to STAY POSITIVE!! Some days it's tough... I won't lie to you.

    Please remember while you are bravely and creatively trying try adapt your body to your job (or vice versa)... to practice whatever SELF-CARE is necessary to prevent permanent and irreversible damage to your body (and even potentially to your mind too).

    I have been in a similar enough situation (to where you are at now) to want desperately (!) to help you by gently forewarning you not to push yourself TOOOO hard.

    I now know that I can never perform the type of work I used to do. It took me MANY, MANY years of therapy to begin to get over that. Heck, I still haven't gotten over it years later!

    I do not mean to be negative in any way (!) and want only to send you positive energy!!

    At the same time, I would be lying if I didn't say I am concerned about you. I am concerned.

    Only you can decide what to do about work. That's not the point I am getting at...

    The point I am getting at is I hope you are practicing self-care during all this. I mean anything that heals you, energizes you, comforts you, is therapeutic to you...

    It could be acupuncture, chiropractic, hot tea, a hot bath, heat packs, ice packs, putting your feet up, meditating, relaxing music, deep relaxation breathing exercises (free and can be done anywhere... even at work!!)...

    It could be remembering to eat at least 3 square meals a day. It could be getting enough (high quality) sleep...

    You sound like you are really struggling and I just want desperately to help somehow.

    You are very right that "healthy people" look at those of us with "invisible illnesses" and see a "healthy person". THEY JUST LOVE TO TELL US WE "LOOK GREAT"!!

    You and I both know that we "invisibly ill/chronically ill people" are NOT healthy. They just don't "get it".

    Have you read "The Spoon Theory" at www.ButYouDon'tLookSick.com? It's AWESOME!!!

    No matter what you do about your work situation, please try to implement as much self-care as possible to support your body and mind through this challenging time at your new job.

    :)

    My positive thoughts are with you!!!

    Jeanne
    www.endendoat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. DITTO to every single word mckay k said!!!!!!

    Shauna, PLEASE look out for your body and mind now. I miss my work too! I was good at it too! It made me feel great!

    You only get one body.

    If your body gets pushed too hard, your mind may not be able to handle the stress next.

    Protect yourself with self-care... as I described in the previous post.

    You only get one body. Permanent damage from pushing TOO hard (like I have now) is NOT good!!!

    My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

    You are strong and smart and determined. These admirable qualities can get you into trouble if you don't listen to your body and respect its limits.

    I wish I could turn back time. I would do things much differently.

    I try to share my experiences with people to prevent them suffering as I have.

    After having 7 abdominal surgeries, 11 kidney stones, 4 cystoscopies, 3 colonscopies, a hemicolectomy, an appendectomy/carcinoid tumor removal, 2 (soon to be 3...) echocardiogram/stress tests, and way way too much else to mention... I have learned the damage that pushing myself TOO hard can cause. It is NOT fun.

    I'm currently being evaluated for possible heart failure... again. I have been down this road before. I'm sure it's not that but they have to rule it out. I feel like a guinea pig!

    Blogging is a great outlet for me.

    Some of the above would have happened anyway. Some of it might have been avoided had I not pushed myself WAY TOO HARD.

    I remember working an 18 hour day, managing to drive home, and then not being able to get out of the car. I lived alone at the time. So I just sat in the parking lot of my apartment until I summoned up enough energy to take the keys out of the ignition. My adrenaline had run out. There was no one to help me upstairs to my 3rd floor apartment and no elevator either. I could so relate to mckay k's description of surviving a work day of giving myself to a job and having NO ENERGY to even get into my home afterwards. It's not worth it.

    You only get one body...

    Take care,

    Jeanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have learned that my very strong will must often be directed towards self-care. I did not "give in" by leaving my profession. In fact, I didn't even choose to leave... (Long story!!!)

    I admire your strong will!! Whatever you do about work (be it working 80 hours a week like I used to, which I do not recommend!)... please remember the importance of SELF-CARE.

    Treat yourself with the same care and concern and compassion as you give your patients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - great post in terms of how chronic pain can affect life without really having "external" signs.

    We see a lot of chronic pain patients in the ER (not necessarily for pain, but for other issues as well) and it helps to understand what might be happening underneath the "you look GOOD" part.

    I won't use that phrase again - even if true, I wouldn't want my patients (or coworkers!) to think I am minimizing what they are feeling/living with.

    Great blog, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shauna,

    You're awesome! You'll figure it out. You are smart, creative, diligent and you WILL find the right job!

    Would being a "patient advocate" where you'd maybe sit at a desk on the phone fighting for patient's rights be a good job for you??? Would it make enough money for you to pay the bills? I'm clueless about the pay but you might like it???

    You obviously could empathize with the patients needing an advocate! Just a thought.

    I'm so glad you understood what I said yesterday.

    Also thanks for adding me to your blogroll!

    I try to look at your blog daily if possible.

    McKay K is awesome too! She and I have emailed back and forth. She's amazing!

    Hang in there... Things WILL all work out in the long run. Self-care will help you tough through the hard times with as little permanent damage (hopefully NONE) as possible.

    You will be OK! You have the strong will, experience, knowledge...

    It WILL work out! I have every confidence that your creativity and determination will get you through this journey! :)

    Have an awesome day with little or no pain if at all possible!

    NICE HUGS are coming your way!!! (a/k/a/ Light hugs that don't hurt! My poor hubby sometimes accidentally hugs my frail body TOO hard). I really "get it".

    Take care,

    Jeanne
    www.endendoat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim,

    Thank you for your comment, and am glad you like my blog.

    An ER nurse eh? Is it true that you ER nurses marry cops for the most part, (aside from the docs?) LOL Seriously. I always heard that.

    I am glad to hear that you are an emotionally open and honest person by your decision not to use 'those' words, "But you LOOK Good!" with people. It is such a hassle to sit and explain to those that say that when I have told them about my pain. What do I say? "OK, thanks?" ;-)~

    I'd love to hear from you if you do get a chronic pain patient that has either lost his/her meds, had them stolen, or those whose pain has spiked and needs a shot of Toradol or Demerol. Oh, the nights I have wished for something to help like that. But I have yet to go to an ER for my pain. Oh, I mean and be seen! Longggg story.

    The above-mentioned patients who do show up in the ER for pain are quickly labeled a drug-seeker, in so many hospitals I have been in, know friends there, or have rotated through in school. It is a huge topic in CP patients lives!!

    Thanks again for the wonderful comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone has left such good words for you. I can't add anything, just echo the thought, please take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Shauna...I haven't been checking my comments very well, as I haven't been able to get to the computer lately either.

    As I've said before, I know everything you say to me comes from the heart. And I thank you for that caring. <3

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.