Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Keeping Your Pain Journal

I want to always have a record of my pain levels. Having this Pain Journal with me when I see my pain doc is valuable information that I could not recall easily or at all when I visit him without it.

Think of one day in your life. The ups and downs of your pain levels can vary by the minute. The peaks and valleys must be recorded, all of that information will be so helpful when you visit any doctor, especially the one that manages your pain. Your symptoms may speak specifically of one issue, and help with a doctor's diagnosis.

What spikes your pain? How long does it take after a certain activity for the pain to get bothersome? What do you take for your pain medicinally, and how long does it take for that medicine to be effective?

What helps your pain? Are there specific exercises that your doctor has approved for you? Stretching, swimming, etc.? Do they really help?

What other modalities do you use that have been effective/non effective for your pain? Heating pads, ice packs, Thermacares (Activated by air-heated charcoal), for on the go heat; Icy Hot Packs, tinted with Menthol for a cooling feeling in a to go pad also. Capsicum patches are made from hot pepper and this is for some helpful. Cramps? Try some Thermacares for Menstrual Cramps. Very effective. The heat in Thermacares last for 8 hours up to 12. Great for hurting backs at work or out doing something we probably are pushing ourselves to do! Chart all of this. Remember, just a few jotted down notes is all you need to do.

Your daily Pain Journal should consist of your pain levels, when and possibly why they were exacerbated, what helped, what did not, how long it took for relief, and all this with times of the day written in. It may sound tedious, yet after you get used to doing it, you will feel odd when you don't 'chart' for the day!

A small notebook but with enough room for your extra notes works fine, as does a specifically-made pain journal. I have one from the American Pain Foundation. It was a few years ago, and I found it to actually be more tedious to follow their way of charting it. I feel more comfy just noting it down in a notebook and keep it by my bed. Kind of like a dream journal!!

Each day, make a note of your pain level when awakening. If the day goes by without anything out of range happening , or not much unusual in what is normal for you pain wise, note that; and happily!!! If the day begins to take a turn for the worst, start by noting the time, your symptoms, what you were doing prior to the pain, and what action you take. Then make a note of if your action was effective.

Do whatever works for you! When you have your next doctor appointment and you bring that journal, you will have with you many moments out of the month or two months since you've seen the doc, that are significant and important for her/him to know. And when you look at a month's worth of moments, you will realize there is no way you could have remembered each of them to tell the doc. Many have a tendency to go with the most recent pain levels in their mind, they may have had a basically good month, but not connecting that every time the dog poop is picked up, or a drive longer than an hour escalates pain levels. If these seemingly small events, but so important in our lives as Chronic Pain/Illness sufferers because they cause pain; are not noted down ever, the connection may not be made, and there is another reason for pain flare-ups that could have been identified. Even standing while washing dishes for me is HUGE. The use of my arms at Thoracic level and standing flares up my pain fast.

We all know, as the patients, what things make our pain worse. The obvious things. The ones we can connect immediately to pain. Then there are the days that we feel good enough to do 'some things' around the house, work a little extra, drive a little further, stay a little longer. We know that the next day, we are likely to 'pay' for our over doings. Today I am in a lot of pain and need to get out of the computer chair and my positioning, and go sit using the heating pad with my legs up. It doesn't take a smart one to look at the fact I vacuumed last night, something my doc and other docs have told me not to do. I even did the attachment thingy and started on the couches. Of course I had to stop before I would have liked to, but I knew I was going to hurt last night, and today very bad-- if I didn't stop. And I do. :-(

So, I overdid it. But what about the day I worked on the computer, and emptied the dishwasher? Why did my pain level rise so quickly? Which of those events caused the spike? I was able to narrow it down to the computer time, having made a note for that day when I came home what my pain level was. I was going to attribute it to the computer chair, but I have a really great ergonomic chair, and then I must look at the position of my hands that starts to put my back into spasm. And what do you know? Aside from standing, it is just like doing dishes to my back. Thoracic level, arms working, holding them away from my body, reaching out.

Identifying your triggers are an excellent thing to jot down in your journal too. I put my list of triggers in the front and seriously have to look at them when I am in pain, but have things to do staring at me, like wash, (oh, just the word hurts,) to remind myself of the things I just can not do at that time. Oh well, who said a heating pad, an old Rosalind Russell film, and a diet coke is not too bad of a deal when I have the time to rest and do some self-care. Or, (this is for Jeanne & Mckay) , when I make the time to rest!

Duly Noted!!

7 comments:

  1. Gosh, Shauna, I feel so unworthy of even reading your post. I am so incredibly fortunate to not be in much of any pain at all. Most days it is a zero or maybe barely a 1. I broke my wrist while rollerblading a few years ago, and maybe that was a 7 or 8, but only for a few hours. After that I had an external fixation device that hurt like a 5 to 8 from time to time, but just for a couple of months. Reading posts like yours, and seeing patients in pain, make me feel really grateful for my good health.
    I'll tell you one thing that irritates me though. There are people who complain of being in major pain and they don't look or act like it. I'll ask, "What level is you pain, on a scale from 0 to 10?" And they'll answer, "It's a 12!!!" Not even on the scale. And they usually don't look to be in pain at all.
    I think patients keeping pain journals is really helpful to me as a doctor, but the patient has to be sincere, and right in the head. Do you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping a journal of symptoms and possible triggers can be helpful for both you and your doctor. I have a wonderful neurologist who told me exactly what he wanted me to write down so I wasn't guessing. Not many of those docs around!

    My Chronic Life
    http://mychroniclife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shauna, I like the way you rest. I love old movies and can even over do that. Focusing on what is or is not included in resting, we are much more likely to be successful. You are focused.

    Today, a friend invited me to the movies (Not so much for the movie, as to get both of us out of the house). I love her company, we get to catch up on girl talk (so import for a woman’s survival. :-)

    My point is this; I had a great time. We played catch up on both of our family’s gossip. However, when I returned home I immediately took a nap. Now that I am awake again, I feel great and am mentally alert. (The mentally alert part might be questionable.)

    Bloggers look out. Here I come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ferd,

    Well Dr., do you know how many times I have been looked at questionably when I quote my pain level when asked by a doc as a 9/10? They can't understand why I am not writhing on the ground. Once, I wanted to, but screaming is not cool in the ER, know what I mean? :-) It is the fact that I deal with pain every single day, and I have learned (probably unconsciously), to not writhe in my pain. What would my days be like? I must beat the pain, even when it is truly out of control. Like it has been the last 5 days. Something new is going on. And I am scared.

    I am glad that your wrist did not cause you that much pain for a long time. Did that experience help you to understand pain in your patients a bit more? Just curious. Your comments about the patients that come in and quote their pain off the 1-10 scale with no facial grimacing, etc., are probably people who have never experienced severe pain before, and truly do not know how to rate it. I understand what you are saying though. To be in their 'right mind', keeping a pain journal. I have gone to a point that I rate my bad bad pain even lower than a 9, because I know how a 10 feels. The accident gave me the experience of a 10. My fusion gave me a 10. Today I could say 10, but I know it can get worse. THAT is being in your right mind....know what I mean Doctor? Thanks for your comments, and I truly forgot I set it here to moderate comments and have not been able to be here at the computer to write anything. When I am in deep pain days, I only think of writing about that. And I don't want to bore my readers. YOU are not unworthy of reading my post Doc....I am humbled to have you here!!!! :-)

    The Only Constant In Life...Is Change

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there My Chronic Life!!!

    I am so impressed and happy that you have such a fine doctor to even assist you in your pain journal by telling you what he wants you to write!! That alone would help so many!
    Thanks so much for your comment hun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. McKay, my partner in pain and kindred spirit....

    I am SO glad that you got together and went out with your friend!! That is such a boost to our mental status when we have a good friend like that and can get out of the house for something fun. Nothing beats a best friend. Mine is simply fantastic at taking my mind off my pain when we do the gossip, etc. (ME? Gossip? hehe )

    Like I told Ferd above, I forgot I had set to moderate comments so I know why you were a bit ? over me not being around. I have had a heck of a week and it is not stopping. I'm writing you right after this hun.

    Bloggers watch out?? Whatcha gonna do to us???? LOL

    Luv ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason, your new posts have not been showing up on my Google feed. :-(

    Ferd, if you read the literature on chronic pain, you will find that the signs of acute pain (such as facial grimace, shallow breathing, heart pounding, etc.) often do not occur in people who have chronic pain. Their bodies stop responding to pain as an emergency because it is an ordinary event. That does not mean they do not feel severe pain; it just means their bodies react to it differently.

    Research on pain response also shows that one's sensitivity to pain may be set very soon after birth. People vary greatly in how much pain they experience from a certain stimulus, not because some are weaker or more cowardly than others, but because early events shaped their nervous systems differently.

    Chronic pain is truly an example of a situation one cannot understand without having walked a mile in another's moccasins.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.