Sunday, July 27, 2008

This Day Went By Too Fast!

Today has me in an odd way of thought. This day has gone by way too fast! I have gotten so much done, and now my brain is on 'relax' mode. Tried to study Lifespan Developmental Psychology but wasn't interested in the repetitive information I was being fed. Tried to apply it to my own life; (suggested for study,) yet I had no interest in my zygotes, prenatal care, or delivery of a baby and their APGAR score. Ah, the United States Educational System....I have always believed that so much time is wasted in this country on the amount of time that goes by before someone is considered "done." We all know education never ends, yet what I have seen from living in other countries, and having lived with a man from Mexico; I am informed well on the topic of countries that graduate their HS students with the ability to go out and work at a career, not just a job. He was teaching Biology in Mexico the year after graduating High School. Of course higher education was encouraged, and utilized; and these new possible college students were able to make the choice of staying in what they specialized in while in HS; and not continue their education, or, as they are going to school, they can work if they have to, and not always at a mindless job!

Here, our kids are lost. It's not easy to find 3 other guys and a house, all splitting it, that would not be affordable unless they all are working straight from school, for hours at minimum wage just to make some money; of course leaving no study time. It is so expensive to live in Southern California, the rents alone are astronomical, and unrealistic for most college students. We Americans spend 12 years in school, and come out with a Diploma. No specializations, just general studies and a piece of paper that at that time, makes no difference really. I took 2 years of ROP in HS, of course it was Medical Occupations....my dreams then of being a surgeon...watching people almost die from gunshots in the ER, chaotic scenes there--at a hospital that of course is now no longer called what it was---Orange County has gone from citrus trees to losing the old 'institutions' I remember learning in. And won't forget one heart wrenching scene.

In the Medical Library at the Hospital, I saw an old book with a picture of a man with no lower mandible. Straight on throat only photo. I took one look at that book and kept it for the whole year, mesmerized by the pictures of disfigured people inside that were helped in appearance through prosthesis's and surgery. (Of course I DID return the book at the end of the year!) I knew since I was 12 I wanted to be in the medical field, and as soon as I could, I was IN some kind of program that put me in the actual life I had dreamed of. I spent time and interest in that program, ROP was something our HS's had: Regional Occupational Programs. The guys took car shop, or electrical; some girls took secretarial, I went straight for the Medical field. I wonder...it would be very nice had I been able to graduate with something like: 'A High School Diploma with major in Medical Occupations.' Why not? The classes became just words on a report card, eventually making their way onto transcripts, (that are even asked for now!) my they are old! LOL

Just a few thoughts this odd day. Even as I work on my Bachelors, I see books full of previous knowledge from my nearly 2 decades of being a nurse. Oh how the rules and regs work for this one! OY! Oh well...what can I do?

.......maybe I'll be in the mood for some zygotes later on. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4 comments:

  1. Shauna, I have said it a thousand times. Our educational system makes no sense. And, it sets up young people, who are seeking higher education, to be tied to an astronomical amount of debt, once they graduate college.

    Greed is putting our country in a dangerous situation. as you know, a majority of our children, once they graduate, cannot compete with even third world countries.

    Why pass children through school to get them out of one system and usher them into dependence on another system? WELFARE! PRISON!

    Once we had trade schools in our high schools. They were taken out of the high schools and put into community colleges.

    Now parents who could barley get their children through high school, are suffering along with their child, to get an associate degree or a certificate for a trade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mckay, hi dear!

    I see you think along my lines. My heart breaks for the kids who have to be rolled out of High School, into another form of higher education that will only serve to either put them in debt, drain them literally due to working and going to school; just to exist, or add to all that the living on their own while doing all this serves to leave them with nothing. Living paycheck to paycheck. Look at living back with their parents. What is that all about???

    12 years for that??

    The government takes from these kids (like all of us) from the money they work hard to make. Of course most of them are only going to be able to make minimum wage, having graduated HS, yet are suited for nothing else wage-wise!

    And are we all so sure that the Social Security System will even be around for our kids when they need it? After all of us Baby Boomers go through the SS system, will there be anything left for our children?

    And I am going for higher education now at an ::ahem::: older age than I would have liked, but it's all good. Oh, except a healthy college loan......

    The word GREED in your comment is the operative word here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to see that other countries use different educational systems. Ours is not necessarily the best. But once things are established, it is very hard for things to change. That's too bad, because I agree that there are very talented people who don't need the full college/grad school/professional school ticket. Hell, look at Bill Gates, a college drop out and one of the most influential and richest people that ever lived!

    We all worry about money. And we want the best job we can imagine, and the best stuff. But as I grow older, I realize more and more that my happiness comes from somewhere else. Today I prefer to keep things simple. I take good care of myself and I don't need much. I have changed my work so it is less abusive and more nurturing. The medical field can really suck it out of you, don't you think so?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ferd,

    I agree, I agree!!! The medical field does suck it out of us!!

    I understand about getting older and needing less. I have downsized about 500% from 8 years ago, and my happiness comes from within, not the car I drive or the house I live in. No more having to 'keep up with the Jones'!! Heck, all that 'big' stuff does anyhow is cost you more, they usually are a drag on your mental status as there is always something to do to something in a home, parts for that foreign car you really can't afford, etc.

    I really got away from the educational system there didn't I? Thank you for your comment, I hope to see you again soon!! Thanks for reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.