Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Jawdropping CT Scan

The most recent CT scan study of my Thoracic spine follows.

After a fusion, it is common for the levels above to become weaker and possibly herniate.  I used to joke that my discs would just keep herniating up the spine as each level is fixed.

Unfortunately, that is not a joke anymore. 

The report is three pages long, chock full of great medical terms to review, such as 'Schmorl nodes' (which is simply herniation of the nucleous pulposus) and reads like a medical school freaky-spine to study for what you do not want to see as a doctor having to deal with a patient housing such a network of spinal pathologies.

The Radiologist starts at Thoracic Spine vertebrae #1, and Thoracic Spine vertebrae #2.  This is written as T1-T2.  Levels are read in 'doubles' as each bony vertebrae joins together to the one above and below.  The disc, made up of a gelatinous material, lies in the middle of the two joining vertebrae, cushioning the large body of each vertebrae.

And off we go..... 

 T1-T2:  There is a 1-2 mm circumferential disc bulge noted.  Costovertebral hypertrophy is noted.  Foraminal compromise identified.

Yikes!  Right off the line and already starting off with a messy first level.  The Thoracic spine is the rarest area to have problems.  Herniated discs, osteophytes, etc, are not seen in the T-spine as often as they are seen in the Lumbar spine. OK, on we go... 

 T2-T3: There is a 1-2 mm circumferential disc bulge noted.  Costovertebral hypertrophy noted.  Foraminal compromise identified.

 T3-T4: There is a 1-2 mm disc bulge noted.  Costovertebral hypertrophy noted.  Foraminal compromise identified.

T4-T5: There is a 1-2 mm disc bulge noted.  Costovertebral hypertrophy noted.  Foraminal compromise identified. 

Did I just write the same thing four times?  4 herniated discs--multiple levels--and I am only on the 4th level of 12 vertebrae of the Thoracic spine.  Costovertebral hypertrophy is the area the rib joins the vertebrae and it is abnormally large. Foraminal compromise means the foramen—the opening in the vertebrae in which the nerves pass through—is compressed and narrowed. This often leads to neuropathy and other nerve-related conditions. I consider myself very fortunate with so many levels in which the foramen is compromised, to not have severe and painful nerve issues in these four levels. 

T5-T6: There is a 1-2 mm disc bulge noted.  Costovertebral hypertrophy noted.

(That was #5 herniated disc in as many levels.)

T6-T7:   There is a 2 mm circumferential disc bulge noted.  There is a right paracentral disc protrusion that indents the Thecal sac.  It measures 6x3 mm in the transverse and AP dimension.  There is bilateral foraminal compromise.  At the level of the disc protrusion right of the midline, the AP dimension of the canal is on the order of 9mm.  Costovertebral hypertrophy noted.  Foraminal compromise identified. 

T7-T8:  There is a circumferential disc osteophyte complex that is prominent to the right anteriorly.  There is a right paracentral calcified disc protrusion that measures 6x3 in the transverse and AP dimensions respectively.  There is indentation of the Thecal sac.  Bilateral foraminal compromise and moderate costovertebral hypertrophy at this level.

T8-T9:  There is a bulky right anterior disc osteophyte complex that measures 1.5 x 1.5 cm in size.  There is moderate bilateral costovertebral hypertrophy, slightly greater on the right.  There is calcification of the Ligamentum flavum.  There is a right paracentral calcified disc protrusion that indents the thecal sac.  It measures 5 x 3 mm.  There is bilateral foraminal compromise.  There is indentation of the thecal sac. 


**I am at level nine out of 12 levels of the thoracic spine.  Not one level has been untouched by disc protrusion/herniation, foraminal compromise, bone hypertrophy, osteophytes, and the last 3 levels show the thecal sac is indented. The thecal sac is a membrane covering the spinal cord, which contains CSF or cerebral spinal fluid. We do not want to see thecal sac indentation, that is getting too close to the spinal cord which brings a whole other set of very serious potential problems.

T9-T-10:  There is a 2mm disc osteophyte complex.  There is a right paracentral calcified disc protrusion that indents the thecal sac.  It measures 3 x 3 mm on the transverse and AP dimension.  There is moderate bilateral foraminal compromise.

T10-T11:  There is a 2 mm circumferential disc osteophyte complex eccentric to the left posteriorly.  Bilateral foraminal compromise.  There is resection of the left costovertebral joint and portions of the left rib with some bone fragments remaining in the postsurgical bed.  There is hypertrophy of the left transverse process.    

**T10-T11 is where my second open Thoracic spine surgery was, called a Costotransversectomy and fusion. My neurosurgeon called it, “The Big Surgery”, with stern warnings about the post-op pain and realistic recovery time. The name suggests the surgeon used a transverse approach, removing parts of the left rib along with part of the joint where the rib meets the vertebrae. He then removed the herniated disc he accessed when the rib was out of the way, followed by a fusion using the bony fragments of the rib and CV joint. Fusions are commonly done with cadaver bone or a metal of sorts.  He opened my back in a straight incision above my spine, then went in on the side at the ribs to perform the transverse entry.
 

T11-T12:  There is a 2 mm circumferential disc osteophyte complex eccentric to the left posteriorly.  Bilateral moderate foraminal compromise with probability of impingement of the exiting nerve roots.  Ligamentum flavum hypertrophy and mild facet hypertrophy noted bilaterally.

**This level shows the nerve roots with ‘probability of impingement’ due to moderate compromise of the foramen bilaterally (both sides). And again, I am so thankful that up to this point I do not have neuropathy in this area. 

T12-L1:  There is a 2mm circumferential disc bulge noted.  There is mild left foraminal compromise.  There is no nerve root impingement.
                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knowing what I do from my past surgeries, my experience as a spine surgery patient, and my medical knowledge as a nurse, my spine is  "really messed up."  These words were spoken by the kind pain management doctor that saw me for the Morphine pump.  As he read the CT results, he looked at me to say how bad my spine is, and my eyes clouded with tears.  I knew already that what was there, and what had been fixed surgically, was already a 'huge mess'.  Yet this CT scan showed me exactly why my pain has been rising steadily and is becoming out of control.  

I was told by a close friend the other day, just how strong I am.  She saw me after a long, very active day- and my pain was crazy-high.  Yet somehow I was able to press on and do the things that I needed to do.  It felt good to hear that.  Yet even I do not know where the incredible strength comes from!  How I am able to push through the barrier that occurs when pain hits hard and I am unable to rest, and just keep going?  It is from God.  For if you saw me on the street, you would never know my name was on a CT result such as above.    

I may have severe spinal issues.  I may have a spine that will never allow me to return to nursing.  (THAT alone causes the tears to well up.)  But I will never allow all of this to keep me down.  I refuse to fade off into the background while life goes on around me.  I would much rather experience life and all that it brings, in severe pain, than to not have those experiences.  Better to live my life in pain than....well, what is the other choice?  NOT live?  Actually, that IS the reason we have many deaths by suicide in the chronic pain community.  For there is NO other choice than to learn to live with the crazy pain.  

And I would rather feel life in all it's wonder......and in pain......than to feel nothing.       

 
Gentle Hugs....

Stay strong~
                     ~just for today~
Enhanced by Zemanta

16 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear all these results. Did they help the pain management doctor in choosing the pump location or any new treatments?

    You are so brave and I really admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Ms. Shauna,

    So great to see you! The pump is still in the works. I wonder if there is going to be any room for the tiny catheter leads to even find a place to rest in that mess!!

    Thanks dearest friend for your always encouraging words and thoughts. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to read about all the damage, Shauna :( That is tough to have to deal with. You ARE strong though and I know that you will cope as best you can. Sending much love and big hugs xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shauna, that is a very bad report, I can understand your pain. I really hope the pump can help you sooo much. I am praying for you. You are a strong person to have endured so much, that started at a young age. Hang in there. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly admire you and your outlook. I am so sorry about the results. I hope you get that pump in place soon and it helps you keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caf my dear....Thanks for your kind words. I feel so much love and support from my online blogging/chronic pain friends it is amazing!!

    Lj....You are sweet to note that this pain has been going on for SO long, yet you give me a lot of positive thoughts and the ever-needed encouragement to keep on keepin' on!!

    TK...I just joined your blog dear...thank you too for the kind and supportive thoughts. They mean more than you could ever understand.

    Gentle Hugs to all my Gentle Readers----<3
    Thank you for all of the support!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shauna,
    My heart goes out to you; I know what type of pain you must be experiencing. I too have multi herniations in my thoracic spine (along with cervical and lumbar), but the thoracic ones really give me grief. It’s a different type of pain in thoracic; it rips through your body, radiating to your chest with such intense pain that breathing becomes difficult. And the ache is so deep that you just wish you could rub it to make it go away. Your courage is an inspiration to the rest of us who suffer with chronic pain and I agree with you; life is precious and worth living even when we struggle with pain. God bless and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie,

    Wow you sure describe aptly the unusual pain that can accompany Thoracic spine issues and pathologies!!

    Becoming 'used to' this pain is part of the chronic way of learning to live with it daily. I also have lumbar/cervical issues but don't allow myself to focus on those as the Thoracic levels have needed all of the attention--Thoracic spine has had all the surgeries--etc.

    I know you can relate as no other can...well, those of us with Thoracic issues can relate...it is such a rare area to have these types of problems that it puts us in a much smaller group. It is nice to know someone can truly relate to me, but it is sad also to know how much pain that you must be experiencing Marie. I try to stay positive honey...today you caught me on a bit of a downer, as a nasty chest cold has hit and stayed on for awhile now, and noticing the pain in the chest that is not normal pain related to the spine--it is quite strong and I will see my doc about this next week.

    Having constant pain, for years, has had an interesting effect on me. I thought I was alone in this until I started writing here....only to find that there are many others who have learned to focus on the pain and pathologies in the spine, and getting it all treated, when other issues in our bodies can go undiagnosed because we tend to focus on our more prominent issues. I don't know if this is a good thing, or if it is some type of survival mode.

    With time, we will figure it out.

    Thank you for your kind and insightful words Marie....

    Gentle Hugs----<3
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am new reader for your blog, but i like your blog so much, I never knew about herniated disc and its affect, getting lots of knowledge from your blog!


    Dr Clark

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Shauna,

    I recently saw Dr. Fessler in Chicago and he does a TMED procedure for protrusions/herniations that has about 4-6 week healing time. I am going to do it in 2012. I am sorry you are in the same boat as me, thoracic is a terrible thing to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Shauna! Unfortunately my scans look similar to yours. I am fused with rods from L2-3 thru L5- S1 but I have herniations up thru the thoracic region and every level in my cervical spine. I want to know why this is happening and I happened to come upon your site. I just herniated a new level and I'M TIRED!!!! What is the answer? I waant to live my life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anon: Thank you for sharing that, and any type of possible relief that is found for the spine is of interest to many! I hope that you have had great success with the procedure if you had it. Good Luck!

    Michelle: Oh honey, you have quite the spine...I wish you could have left an email or something, as I would love to communicate with you about this herniation issue. I relate SO MUCH to that simple statement at the end of your comment, "I want to live my life!" Hang in there baby.

    Gentle Hugs----<3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am still suffering from a t2t3 herniated disc that occurred while working. The worst is at nite when I try to fall asleep. Oxycodone and lunesta really doesn't even help. It usually takes 3-4 hours for me to get comfortable. I try to do what I can during the day. My husband thought yoga would help and it took a good 2 days to get rid of the headache. Any suggestions I have had this pain for almost a year and had 3 injections so far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anon,

    I wish there was a way to get ahold of you, but if you continue to read here, hopefully you will see this answer.

    What is your Pain Management Plan? Do yu have a Pain doc that you trust? If I knew those answers, we could go a few more steps. It is such a delactie balance, Pain Management. What works for one has no effect on the next. It is a very subjective disease, with only your report, and your doctor hearing the report. Sure, some of us have horrible test results, past surgeries, all the documentation possible, but that really does us no good, especially when we decide to never have another surgery.

    This leaves us to treat the symptoms. This is where pain management steps in. The relationship between you and your PM physician is quite important in your decision making and how you deal with your pain.

    If there is a way you can let me know how you are doing, if you use the email me up near my picture here, you are welcome to for further discussion.

    Thanks for reading, and--

    Gentle Hugs----<3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shauna it sounds like you may have a connsective tissue abnormality that causes brittle annulus in your discs. That is a factor that rarely if ever receives any medical attention.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shauna, My recent MRI contains almost the exact detail for the cervical spine as your CT scan read for your thoracic and my heart goes out to you. On my end there is three bulging, one herniated, two with bone spurs, all with severe stenosis.. and I'm only 27. My left arm and hand have become rather useless from the pain and weakness.

    I keep getting plowed over by big trucks here in TX on the roads so I continue to have spine damage. When I was 18 I had surgery for a ruptured L4/L5 and then another one at 21 for my L5/S1. So with any advice, please be careful when driving!

    Much like you, I continue to stay positive and keep my head held high (heavy as it has become for this weak old neck!). I work 60 hrs a week at a consulting job (with plenty of dragging carry on bags around airports & sleeping on planes)and am also working on my MBA at the moment. My husband compared me to a Marine (he was one himself) because he sees me constantly push myself forward through all the pain and stress. There are times when I look like a crazy person holding my heating pad up to my neck at my desk at the office, but I do what I have to do to get by.

    I just had 8 injections in my neck last week. I couldn't lift my head for a few days and they haven't really helped so far. I go to a new doc. (so far been to 5 different ones that have all been more awful than the last so I'm not giving up until I find one that will work with me on the ultimate treatment plan) next Mon. the 24th to possibly discuss surgery at least for the herniated disc C7-T1 and bone spurs. Wish me luck!

    Hope you are doing well and thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.