Friday, January 18, 2013

Over The Counter Medications in Chronic Pain

Many patients that suffer from chronic pain use a myriad of different medications, try various modalities, and will try almost anything in an attempt to obtain some sort of respite from the unrelenting assault to the body and mind.


Recently having ended nearly a decade of pain management physician-prescribed Morphine for the chronic pain in my spine, I find that the use of OTC (Over the Counter) medications are finding a definite place in my changing arsenal of treatments.


When opiates are prescribed and used as a part of your Chronic Pain Management program, it is common to see non-opiates either blended with the opiate, or used as an adjunct medication.


The most common OTC med found in opiates is Acetaminophen  or APAP.  (Brand name Tylenol)  Most people have had some experience with Vicodin, being the most widely prescribed medication in the U.S.  Vicodin (brand name) or Hydrocodone (generic) is mixed with APAP, and shown as the bottom number in all forms of the drug.  Example= 5/500 means that there is 5 milligrams of Hydrocodone, and 500 milligrams of APAP.  These are seen in the brands Loracet, Loratab and Norco.


There are dosage limits with any medication, and in the use of Acetaminophen, it is very important not to exceed 4,000 milligrams.  Especially with long-term use, damage to the liver can occur, among other issues.  I advocate patient education, and learning about the medications you use, including the dosage limits, is something everyone that is prescribed medication could benefit from.  Your doctor loves a well-educated patient!



Coated 200 mg ibuprofen tablets, CareOne brand...
Coated 200 mg ibuprofen tablets
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Also seen mixed into opiates is the OTC med Ibuprofen.  Commonly used with Hydrocodone, this medication can be found under the name brand 'Vicoprofen' for example.  The maximum dose per day of this OTC medication is 2.4 grams, or 2400 milligrams.  800 mgs. 3 times a day.


Used to augment a prescribed opiate, or alone as an adjunct to a non-opiate pain management program, these easy to obtain and relatively affordable over the counter medications are an excellent way to help manage your pain.  Along with many, many others who experience life with the constant companion called PAIN, I understand that my pain is managed, not obliterated.  That is reserved for after surgeries now, and living life without a long-term opiate pain medication is awesome--not only in it's clarity, but also in it's depth of my experience of pain.


I believe that when a chronic pain patient comes to a deep understanding that life will most likely be pain management vs. (total) pain relief, life will feel less on edge.  If we lower expectations, and move towards acceptance of the situation, what we are dealing with this day, this pain, this life, well, it may just seem a little more tolerable.


Even a little less pain is a very good thing.  



Gentle Hugs....
Enhanced by Zemanta

9 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post :D I was recently given Nuerontin for pain but it doesn't do anything for me. I started taking some left over Vicodin and it helps - takes the edge off - but the pain is still there. I will try pairing it with Ibuprofen until I can talk to my doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you but the trick is how to get to the understanding of pain management vs. pain relief? Tough for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes sense Shauna. I don't have constant pain, and I can't imagine what that would be like!
    Take care F

    ReplyDelete
  5. SHAUNA THIS I LORI <3 I HOPE AND PRAY YOUR PAIN IS LESS AND LESS... I PRAY THAT YOU GET BETTER WITH ALL MY HEART LOVE AND LIGHT SISTER <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, Thank you for reading! Greatly appreciated.

    Leslie, Glad that you found this post helpful!

    ProKPR, Agreed-toughest part of Chronic Pain.

    Mo, So good to see you! You are always such a source of comfort and encouragement.

    Lori, Hey there sister! Thank you honey! I miss those HUGS of yours. Keep on the Good fight doll.

    Gentle Hugs-----<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful Shauna. I like your sentiments about "the pain management vs. (total) pain relief, life will feel less on edge." I agree with you. Most of the times, we just have to accept and face the problems. By doing this, it enable us to make ourselves feel better. I used to have Tinnitus, I heard a pitch sound in my ear. I did not get afraid after reading some experiences shared in forums and website like http://www.tinnitusgoaway.com/ which says it's curable. Today, I am healthier than before. It's all about PAIN MANAGEMENT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really agree with your last comment there about people accepting and learning to pain manage. Good info here also on OTC meds. I recently was prescribed Feldene gel by my GP for some aggravation from over strain of my left wrist through my work. I find the Feldene gel surprisingly good so far & wish I could reach parts on my back / neck & shoulders that may feel better with a bit of this gel applied. I have tried it on my neck & again, so far think it might be a worthwhile tube to carry at all times. I have a tens with me most times, I keep 1 in the house & 1 in my car so if I get a bit of a sudden pain flair up or spasms I can whip on the tens for some relief or if muscles are in spasm or not functioning right, the gentle shocks sometimes gives great relief. Having been this way for so long, nearly 12 years, I know what is a pain that reaching for the opiates may help & am often I am offered pain relief drugs from friends e.t.c when they see me in pain & I know that what I am experiencing at that time will not improve with medication, tens maybe, now Feldene perhaps, but I do not want to take Feldene tablets though. I fell of a building & landed on a scaffold tower initially which has cracked my L5 disc & I have been told that injury triggered central sensitivity syndrome, where the brain sends wrong messages to nerves & muscles telling them to go into defensive mode when there is not threat. This makes like a bit fickle & un predictable, but you learn to manage & adapt. I have an occupational therapist coming to visit my home tomorrow. My GP gave me a card a few weeks ago & said to call the number on the card as it was a number for a section of my local council who are there to help people who are working & work for a company with less than 250 employees & also have health issues the effect their work. My GP said," You work, you work for yourself, you have health issues which effect your daily life & make it difficult for you to work so you definitely qualify for there help, please do give them a call". My GP is O.K, he does try hard to help. So an OT is coming tomorrow to go over the ergonomics of my work & my home & to give advise on how changes can be made to make my daily life / work more manageable & to discuss any other help they may be set up to provide. Accepting that changes need to be made & occasional assistance is a big part of the getting well process, even if the root of your pain will never get better, your attitude to life, your daily routine & general outlook for the future can be greatly improved with some good acceptance & management.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara, Thank you for your input. Online support is vast and allows us to connect with others, and know we are not alone.

    Tracy, Sent you an email...what a story! And what creativity you have! Saving old vinyl, what a great concept. I am a new customer and a supporter of your amazing work. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.