Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Pleasure of Meeting Others With Pain

I have received a load of emails recently from others that have chronic pain also. I am just so amazed at the amount of people that apparently have read my blog writings and musings, and been touched enough to write and share their stories with me.


THIS is why I started my blog. To just touch that ONE person in pain, or someone who just was diagnosed with chronic pain or learned of why they are always feeling so lousy. To even learn the reason behind the pain alone is a true blessing, as many have no actual diagnosis, no explanation why they are feeling pain in their body. That is one tough thing to deal with.


As I hear from others in pain, and write back to them; I realize that my mission has been accomplished. I just want to reach the right people! Those that will take something away from my posts and feel (maybe) not so alone. I know that when I met the first person in my life who suffered with daily pain, I felt as if I had made an immediate best friend.


Those that I meet online who share the same issues as me, who I have not met in person, (yet!), 'get' me. They are 'sisters' and 'brothers' in pain with me. We understand each other. We can chat online and immediately know what the other is truly feeling.


It will be one year for me next month that I began blogging. I began this journey on another site on Feb. 22nd, of last year, and moved here in April. I can't believe how time has flown by. Some of the most special people I've ever met in my life have been since starting my blog,and they have become some of my closest online friends. One of them is my "Kindred Spirit". We both knew right off the bat that we shared way too much in common to be anything else but that.


Have you ever heard the saying that, "A person will come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime"? Well these special people that share my daily pain and truly understand it, are now all 3 of these to me. The reason was to let me know that I am not alone...the season will be each and every one that we go through each year, and the lifetime is just that. All of us will not part ways through our lives. We all know it, we share pain, one of the deepest and most alarming sensations to experience in the human body, and we together share the fact that we feel this sensation daily in our bodies.


We are all bound together for life. Whether we ever meet in person, or continue to know each other online thanks to this wonderful newfangled equipment called the computer and the web, those of us that feel this pain are in it together--for a lifetime.


That is all I ever wanted from writing this blog. To touch just one person. Looks like I got lucky!!


I wish you that know what it is like to live life with pain, a low or tolerable pain day and evening. Of course, the goal is to feel no pain. But let's get real...I write in truths, and that is wishful thinking for the majority of chronic pain patients! At least in my case...for it is always there...lurking in the background when it is not the star of my day. I'll take the lurker over the star. Of course, we would all take the NO pain....if it is ever to be found. For an hour, for ten minutes, for a moment. It is so welcome, yet rarely materializes.


And our lives go on, regardless of this familiar entity in our lives called PAIN. We persevere. We move ahead. We work on our goals. We LIVE with the pain. LIVE! And I believe we all do it-- very, very well !!

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful reading to start the day. Thank you and I wish you a "lurker" day today!
    Prof S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call my ACM headaches Grendel because, as you noted, while the level of pain hovers between intolerable and manageable, it is always present. Just like Grendel, it lurks in a dark cave somewhere in our bodies, waiting for just right moment to strike. And when, just like Grendel, it has caused as much misery and chaos as it possibly can, it retreats to the darkness of the cave to wait for the next opportunity to slip out and bang around on some heads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi My Kindred Spirit; this post nearly had me in tears. You do write in truths, so, that is why it touched my heart so deeply.

    You described our reason for being on the internet perfectly. We wanted to help other know that they were not alone on their journey with the unwelcomed companion of pain.

    The unexpected benefit was that we made lifelong friends who we love dearly. Our lives are so much better for them. Thank you for coming into my life and bringing all of your beautiful personality with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prof S,

    Thank you for making such a nice comment here and wishing me a LURKER day!! LOL I couldn't have asked for anything more...unfortunately, it was an IN YO FACE day... :-( I wish you though, a day/evening of Lurker pain or NONE at all!!

    Carleen,

    Ahhh, Grendel eh?? One 'fun' thing we get to do as pain sufferers are to be silly as possible and name our pains...WHY NOT? I feel for you honey, and you are always in my heart and thoughts. And NO Grendel to you for today/eve.!!!! '-)

    My Kindred Spirit,

    What can I say?? You 'got me', of course, and I am very touched at your comment. Last thing I want to ever do is have anything to do with putting you in tears darlin'...but I know what kind they were. I am forever blessed to have you in my life. <3
    Kisses and Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today, I started a pain blog, I dont know why, I just thought if I wrote it all down, maybe I would feel better. then I done some googling, and found you. There are lost of people living with pain everyday, and their lives must go on. Most people dont even know I have pain, only my family and close friends. who wants to hear a crybaby, life goes on. I wish you well on your pain, and I will check back on you often to see how you are doing. take care, L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about your chronic pain, have you ever tried meditation? I've got multiple sclerosis and it was been wonderful for me and I suggest it to everyone. You'll find me at http://www.ConquerMS.com

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the common thought and love of any blogger is connecting with others, and sharing what you love, fear, hold deep in your heart, and also pain. Sharing is more than just a word, it is a conection of soul and heart.
    Looks like you are a veteran blogger now!
    Congratulations :-)

    Nice to see you today. Hug and a "hello" to you as well.

    Eric Doctor Shoal Hollydale SpeedyCat (ha haaaaaaaa!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Pain, (L),

    I went to read your new blog and think you have done a wonderful thing. Not only are you letting ONE more person know that they are not alone, but you can sure use this as a great tool with you at doctor's appointments!! Love the way you use your pain levels in your posts also. Great job, keep it up!!

    LC David,

    Glad you liked the post. It always helps me to know that people are reading. Have a great evening!!

    Dear Robert,

    Glad that meditation has helped you. Yes, I have tried it. And it certainly helps alleviate the STRESS related muscle spasms I've noticed. One of my best friends online does a great blog about meditation, and I will be posting her blog on tonight when I get to doing my own blogging! It's run around time to visit all my fellow 'bloggie friends' places right now!! Will be stopping by yours too!

    I wish you also a low or tolerable day/evening of pain.


    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Shauna,
    I am also new to blogging, however I am no stranger to pain. I was diagnosed 5 years ago with RA and am determined to not let it get the best of me. I continue to do the things I love to do, just in moderation now. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eric!!!!!!!!!!

    So happy to see you in your zooming around your favorite blogs!!! :-D Your words are beautiful and strong; but above all else, so strong. I would love someday to see a serious, straight from "the doctor's" heart page !?!?!?!?!? Hugs to you too, my friend! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    Dear Tharr,

    So honored to meet another 'sister' in pain. My heart goes out to you for living with an extremely painful diagnosis over the years. I hope to see you back, keep stopping by and read, I write from the heart, and there you will find my truths, and writing about pain is not always and easy thing to do, especially when we are in it ourselves!!

    Take good care of yourself. Gentle hugs to you.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eric, that meant to read, "...but above all else; so HONEST." (Not the word 'strong' twice.) YOU know what I am trying to say.....



    dontcha? xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.