Monday, January 26, 2009

How Amazing This Pain Truly Is

It's 2:30 a.m., and this day seems as if it will never end! Just one of 'those' days.

I really need some good sleep and some time on the heating pad. I wish so much for a laptop so I could do so much more writing with the help of that heat and in a better position. I think this 'ergonomic' chair is not so friendly anymore. As a commenter said, it is so imperative to take those needed breaks. And in my reply, I wondered: "But what if those breaks are not to be found?" Ah, a true dilemma!

What do we, those with pain in our lives every day; do when the actual time that we know we need to be taking a break is not there? I think I found an answer. Like so much in the life of a chronic pain person, we FIND WAYS to deal with it, we are innovative, and we are smart.

You can find me in stores sometimes, literally hanging at the waist, not only to look at the products on the bottom shelves, (as my knees with 2 surgeries and arthritis have gone out for squatting long ago), but also just to get my body in whatever position I can, in whatever place I am, into anything that will take the pressure off my back. My freind laughs at me, but with sadness at the same time when I do that, knowing how much pain I must be in. I just have to laugh along with her, knowing that I look odd, but anyone that really knows me knows that I don't care one bit what anyone thinks.

What I'm trying to spit out here, is that wherever we find ourselves in pain, there is a way to relieve it-- just a bit at the least, by changing our body position. This may not be true for all of course, nothing is, as we all have our spots and places that hurt the most, or different ways of hurting.

When I was waiting for my meds the other night, I had two pillows I'd found on sale, put them on the pharmacy counter, and had my head on them, with my back in a swayed position. With Spinal Stenosis, there is no one way, flexing or extending, that will take the pressure off my spine. Having finally found the perfect analogy for my pain when watching a Discovery program the other night, (that is my next post), I realized that I am in quite a quandary when the pain hits, and I am not at home, have no place to actually lie down, (which doesn't always do as much good as many people think), and have no one with me to apply pressure that may help for a time.

So I stood there, my head down on the pillows on the counter, my butt back as far as possible, and my back flexed as far down as I could. Then extend. Then flex. I was doing a form of "Pharmacy Counter Pillow Yoga"!! The 'Cat' revised. Along with the hair hanging down while I stand in the aisles and hang at the waist, I must make quite the comedy show for the ever-watchful security cameras. No, I'm not stealing. I'm hurting. But they'd never know it I imagine, to watch me.

I sit here now, with my back in spasms, and we know that spasms follow pain, and pain follows spasms. So what do I do? Get into bed!! I'm finally in a place and a time when I can rest and do some good for my body.

We all must practice good body mechanics when we can. SO much easier said than done! But when possible, out in the world, away from your place and position you know is the ultimate BEST for your pain, try and experiment with different body postures. It does help, if even for a moment.

And a moment of no pain is better than one with it.

You'll find me in the aisles...the lady with her long hair hanging down, bent at the waist, just trying to achieve a moment of relief. And after decades of having pain, I still marvel....

How amazing this pain truly is!!

11 comments:

  1. Ahh the things we do to get even a moment's relief from pain. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that you're hurting so much today. Your comments made me laugh . . . sometimes I too end up in the strangest positions or places because I'm away from home and have to find some way to rest or take the stress off painful joints. Last month when I was in that situation, I found a comfy sofa in an art gallery to collapse onto and, to make a long story short, ended up buying an expensive piece of art.

    I hope the day gets better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shauna how much I identify with your conundrums.

    I only have vague memories of leaving home and returning without a visit with the pain monster.

    My shopping is, almost completely, in stores that have shopping carts. They serve as support while I perform my contortionist moves in search of relief from pain.

    I recently moved my office into my bedroom. It is a comfortable space at the foot of my bed. I just could not make the multiple trips across the hall to the office anymore. I even blogged about it on our “Invisible Disabilities Community” site.

    We do what we must to make this life as comfortable as possible.

    Be well Kindred Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean about dealing with the pain wherever, whenever without regard for what other people think when they see you. My depth perception is horrible now and when you combine that with some serious wobbliness, going down a flight of stairs is near to impossible. It doesn't bother me at all to get into an elevator on the second floor to go down to the first; I just don't care what people think about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Professor,

    Thank you for your nice comment! I left a comment over at your 'place' after enjoying some time there...great blog and it's going on my link list!

    I see that we are sisters in pain, so you understand the odd positions...

    I wish you a low or no pain day,
    Take Care
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carleen!

    So great to see you here!

    I see we are the same in our feeling of 'who cares', when it comes to putting our pain 1st. I do the same thing with the elevator as you if my pain is high on the scale. And no stairs UP. I do enough of that at home! :-)

    I think that those of us that live with pain have learned to not care what anyone thinks b/c we MUST do so many odd body positions and other things that some may think as 'odd'--just to get through being out in the world with pain. Better to be odd than in pain, eh?? ;-)

    I hope that you are also having a low pain day sweetie,

    Always,
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest KS,

    Well heck--how did hitting 'publish' just put you way up there?? hmmmm

    I think you are one smart one, to just fix up your room so as to accommodate yourself, and your needs, for your time needed at the home office and computer. Good job!! I'll check out your post at the ID site. (I have been practically non-existent over there!!)

    You totally made me picture myself with my shopping cart and the "contortionist moves" (perfectly put!), that I also do when visiting my biggest pain nemesis...(the market), and I just have to laugh about this.

    We ALL seem to completely understand each other and do the same types of things when we in pain, are out in the big bad world, doing whatever it is that hits our 'sore spots'.

    I am so thankful that my car has heated seats. My traveling heating pad makes all the difference in the world when driving. Which I do a lot of as you know. ;-)

    Have a low/ no pain night my dearest Kindred Spirit...

    Hugs always!!
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Shauna,

    I made you laugh?? You just made me laugh so hard I am writing this with sore cheeks!! (Facial cheeks everyone...) ;-)

    I hope that you have enjoyed your expensive art selection, done due to pain...I suppose that pain CAN be a source of some type of odd pleasure!! tee hee Just think of me now and then when you look at it ok???

    I'm having an off day in my publishing of comments and them being in order...but AHA I see now what I am doing wrong.

    Ok, ok, I know, there is a present for me at your 'place'...I'm COMING!!!

    Have a low pain evening sweetest name-sharer...

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shauna....and now your other comment to Virginia Lady via me is GONE, and I published it...ARGHHH what is happening?? And it was SO cute too!! I must find it, it is hurtling through cyberspace somewhere and I WILL find it!! How DARE such a well-written (of course--by YOU!) piece disappear!!

    Do you remember exactly what you wrote?? You'll write it again won't you?? Just for me?? lol

    Love ya!
    Sha :-)

    P.S. I know that when I hit publish for this comment, yours will hurtle back into my computer and show up..let's see...ready, and, 'ENTER'!.................

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shauna, I just checked and Virginia Lady's and my comments are on your previous post of January 8. So you didn't accidentally erase them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shauna,

    You are a doll. Getting the Premio Dardos award up tonight.

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.