Monday, June 20, 2011

What Would You Do?

Tomorrow is the appointment for my consult with the physician who places IDDS.

Having waited over a year for this, I am extremely excited and will write about the outcome ASAP.   

Over the weekend I saw an old friend and I am very concerned.  This person is under a doctor's care for pain management.  However, when we met, I was astonished at the state that this person is in.  This is one of my biggest worries--those who take their medications improperly, yet are being followed by a physician.  Something is wrong with this picture.   

Is the physician aware that this patient is totally over taking medications?  Leaving them in such a state that they are unable to drive, unable to speak clearly, unable to make proper decisions.  I care about this person personally and find myself at a loss of what to do. 

We both know each other very well, and yet the addiction to pain pills goes unspoken between us.  Here I am, writing about those that take pain meds, and how I am in favor of Opiates for the use of pain management in cases where the patient will benefit from such medications; and yet I see this person totally out of it and I am stuck . This is not like me.  Maybe because it has hit close to home, it bothers me so very much.

I care about all people who are in pain.  I seek to educate and advocate for pain patients.  However, when a patient is clearly non-compliant, I feel angry to see it in action.  I feel sad to know that this person is ruining their life, and it can only go down from here if the pills are continued to be used for more than pain relief.

It is a slippery slope to begin Opiates.  The prescribing physician needs to do a complete assessment of the patient who is going to embark on a regimen of opiates.  Do these patients present as clear headed and compliant when in the presence of their physician?  Is this just to get the prescription in their hands?

When I speak of compliance, I am very serious about this subject, and pride myself of being a totally complaint patient.  This includes doing everything that the doctor wants to include in the treatment program.  If Physical Therapy is prescribed for instance, the patient is expected to attempt therapy.  It may not be easy, it may not fit into everyone's schedule, but it must be tried.  It may be uncomfortable, the patient may not be ready for that at this time, but it must be tried.   

If someone wants their pain to be lowered, become a level that can be tolerated, they must go along with what their doctor wants to try.  Not doing this shows that a patient is not interested in getting better.  A patient who is being treated for pain, can not just take pills all day and expect to get better.

I have been forced into physical activity that I didn't know I could do; over the past 7 months.  I am thankful that everything worked out the way that it did, for I have found that becoming physically stronger has lowered my overall pain levels!  This is exciting and rewarding.  Constantly a challenge, I have learned that my body can do much more than I thought previously.  Sometimes in life we must be forced into a situation that allows us to see just how strong we are--both physically and emotionally.

Yet when I see a person that I used to know as a vibrant person, gone down the drain so fast into a painpillheadthatdoesntmakeanysense, slurring words, eyes clouded, unable to remember what was just said, my heart is heavy.  I know that addiction runs rampant in this persons life.  Not seeing someone for a few months, then seeing them and being aware of the level they have sunk to, and all because of over taking their pain medications...well I am at a loss for words.

What do I do?

What would YOU do?   

Gentle Hugs....

4 comments:

  1. I understand entirely what you are saying here Shauna. If its ok I am going to send you an email via your contact form. I don't have one on my blog simply because I haven't yet worked out how to set up an email just for my blog that is separate from theone I use daily!
    Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you, its hard to see a friend going downhill. I dont have an answer, just wanted you to know I care. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shauna, I am sorry you are going through this crazy heartbreaking stuff with your friend. I wrote a post a while ago and titled it the same as yours. (I've included the link here, but I don't really know what I'm doing...I hope it works)

    I don't know what you should do abut your friend...just as I didn't know what to do about mine. I heard from my friend just today...she has a boyfriend, she met him at the shelter. She thinks he has money...go figure. If you think your friend has no idea that she is taking too much of her medication, I would say something. If she knows what she is doing, believe me...you can't do anything.

    xomo

    http://moisbloggingithink.wordpress.com/2011/01/22/what-would-you-do/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Achelois,

    Sweetie I got your comment with the email---I tried it and it kept coming back. I will go over to your blog and see if we can get this all straightened out. Thanks for your never-ending support.

    Linda,

    I know you care my dear. And that makes all the difference in the world, believe me. I thank God for having met people like you through writing!!

    Mo,

    I thought the title I wrote had been seen somewhere---it was you! I remember commenting on the post you wrote. You are so right, she knows exactly what she is doing. And yet she still continues to have very self-destructive behavior just like your friend. Thanks for understanding my dear friend Mo.

    Gentle Hugs to you all----<3

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.