Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Intrathecal Drug Delivery Sytems: How Do They Work?

As the day approaches for the consult with the physician that will put in the IDDS/Morphine Pump, I am researching the subject over and over again, and reading everything I can about the pumps.

Of course I have done this before, but I wanted to get some up to date information and post a few pictures of the pump so everyone can understand at least what they look like, and how they work.

The pumps that are made by Medtronic, are about the same circumference as a tuna can, (the small ones) and since I am quite thin, I have been told that mine will probably show.  The pump holds the medication that is then 'pumped' to the intrathecal space.  There is a catheter that goes from the pump, to the spot where the end of the catheter is, and the medication is then in the spinal column's intrathecal space.

Is it decent-looking to walk around with a 'tuna can' in my abdomen that is visible to others??  Well, guess what--I don't CARE!!  I have never cared what others think, and now is no different.  Especially if it has to do with a reduction in my pain levels.  I will be the first one to put on a bikini, get to the beach, and swim in the ocean--one of my favorite things to do, which I haven't been able to do for years.  Tuna or no tuna, I'm there!!!  Just thinking about the world that will open back up to me is nearly unbelievable.   

One of the huge benefits of the IDDS is no more oral meds.  I know that many, if not most, of the pump recipients, still need to take some oral medications.  Breakthrough pain can still occur with the pump running, and oral medications may need to be used for the BTP.  Also, other medications can be put in the pump, such as Baclofen, which is a muscle relaxer, but if that is not used with me, I may still need to take something for the severe muscle spasms that I have.  The idea here is that a small fraction of the oral dose of medication can be used with the pump, since the medication goes directly to the spinal canal or intrathecal space, and disrupts the pain signals from being broadcast to the brain. 

I have talked to a 'Pump Ambassador' with the Medtronic Tame the Pain program, who told me everything about her pump trial, and subsequent implantation.  I was giddy after our phone call, and very excited.  This was quite a few months ago, and I am going to talk with her again since this is all going to hopefully happen very soon for me.  She told me the nurses would hang out in her room (more like hide in her room) because she was the only non-demanding patient during her trial, as her response was excellent and she had nearly complete relief of her pain.

I am very realistic and know that this could be a total failure. I have a large amount of scar tissue in my spinal area, which got in the way of a Spinal Cord Stimulator being placed for pain relief during the trial for the Stimulator.  Strange, I was not told about the pump at that time when a failed Stimulator trial occurred.  But I have always believed that everything happens in it's own time, and at the right time.

This link will take you to a very short video that shows how the pump is placed: 

http://www.medtronicaseanneuro.com/Pain_intro2idp.html

Much more to come on the pump, the trial and what that entails....

Gentle Hugs....

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shauna, I am pleased for you and sincerely hope the trial is very successful.
    I just wish I had access to the same type of thing to treat my Ehlers Danlos and associated conditions.
    I will be thinking of you in the hope that collective thoughts do make a difference in the efficacy of the pump, I certainly hope so.

    Kindest regards and gentle hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shauna,

    Good luck with the pump... and WHO CARES what it looks like! Sounds like you will be bikini bound. :)

    Jeanne

    P.S. I have found that it's always good to check one's spelling before posting a comment online. I just changed an "i" to a "u" in the word "pump". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Achelois,

    Thank you honey for your always positive comments and good thoughts....I believe also that if people are sending up good thoughts and prayers, there will be a positive outcome. Just hard for me to believe this is really happening as it has been such a long, hard wait!!!

    Jeanne,

    I had to LOL at your spelling issue...never heard of a 'Morphine Pimp', but in this crazy world, who knows!!! (Maybe I will Google that and see what comes up!) Thanks to you also for always having a very positive way of thinking...hard to believe that we met over 3 years ago when our blogs were babies...

    Gentle Hugs, lots of them to both of you sweet gals!!-----<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope this can help you with your pain, there are still many many years left, and you dont need to be in pain. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know about your blogs such nice information i like it.
    Thanks for sharing..
    Medical Supply Companies

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I both had chronic pain. He had chronic back pain, and I had wrist pain. We found a therapy that helped us both. The therapy is called Light Axis Healing. I hope this finds you well.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.