Tuesday, June 1, 2010

An Empty Spot Now on the Recliner

I have written 5 drafts and they get too 'wordy', yet I need to get this written down.  I simply don't want to revisit the details.  I do every day anyway.   

There is a very big empty spot at the foot of my recliner where my last puppy was lifted up to, each time she wanted to come up.  And there is a huge empty spot inside of me. 

My sweet, blind, 14 year old Jack Russell finally had her day arrive.  It was the day that she would see again.  She crossed over to where her eyesight was perfect, she was lithe and limber with the energy I knew in her so well up until last year.

I can handle humans all bloody, I love surgery, and death is not scary.  I have been present quite often at the exact time of death when in Hospice nursing.  Yet put an animal on TV and show them abused, or see the puppy mills; I hold a hand over my face.  I have great empathy for people, but the animals get me in the pure love area....especially dogs, with their unconditional love and care for us.

I had been crying all through the night she was sick and just kept vomiting, the poor thing.  I fell into my bed after a night of emesis cleanups, and doggie consoling, I was obviously exhausted.  I knew she was too.  When I woke up that next fateful day--she was lying in a very odd spot, and was very light when I picked her up.  I had her try a tiny bit of water, and after just a few laps, it came rushing back up.  Poor baby.  I could see the depressions in her head and face showing her state of dehydration.
 
She was very anxious and would do her 'normal' cry she did, to let me know she was hungry, had to go out, etc., but this cry escalated to sounds of pain and being uncomfortable.  I felt so helpless!! 

I knew when she couldn't keep the water down we were in big trouble.  I called my son who was at work, and he came as soon as he could.  It was late evening, so we just had the one ER Vet Clinic to go to.  We knew, even before leaving, that we would not walk back in again with her.  We took that very few but precious moments with our dog to cry and say goodbye here, in privacy, but we had to hurry for her sake. 

When the ER Vet saw her, she asked if we wanted to euthanize her, well, of course I didn't want to, but I had to.  Her diagnosis was 'failure to thrive', a diagnosis seen often in Hospice, and in Nursing Homes.  Bodies start to shut down eating and drinking when it is getting ready to die.  I noticed that for the past 4 days, I had been finding her milk bones given as a treat for going outside, in weird places around the house, and for her not to eat those, something is drastically wrong.   

It absolutely breaks my heart to see my son cry.  I know it hurts every mom when we see our children show the deepest part of themselves, crying from pure sadness and loss.  It made me cry even more.

We spent a little time with her in the room, saying goodbye, stroking her silky fur and telling her what a fantastic dog she had been in our lives.  The doctor came in with the famous pink see-through liquid, 3cc's.  She just looked at us and asked if we were ready.  We must have answered yes through our sobbing, and she inserted the needle into the IV catheter and slowly began to push the medicine in.

I don't do real great at that particular time with animals.  Her blind eyes were open the whole time we were there waiting, and although she couldn't see at all, the glazed look that comes after the medication has worked, was too much for me to handle. I looked at the vet and softly asked her, "now?"  She waited a moment, took her stethoscope off from around her neck and listened to Roxy's heart and lungs.  Then she looked at me and nodded.  That's when I saw Roxy's eyes change totally.  The amazing thing is that I saw the difference even in her white-blind eyes between that very moment of being here, and the very moment of passing on.

I tried to close her eyes but they wouldn't stay shut.  I told my son I was starting to freak out, but at the same time, I didn't want to leave her.  We stayed in with her another 5-10 minutes, and then felt we had to leave.  Yet the minute we got in the car, we both started to sob again.

I have been crying for a week.  There is such an empty feeling not only in my house without my shadow following me everywhere, but also a true empty feeling inside of me.  Like something was literally pulled from me.

Where is the soft fur to touch?  The darling head that laid on my lap?  Where is the sound of her nails on the wood floor?  What do I do when it's dinnertime and I've been feeding 1,2, and 3 dogs for the last 14 years?

That kind of habit is not easy to adapt to.  My sleep is now every other night, the sadness is overwhelming, and in the middle of all these feelings is the familiar pain, lurking in the background, just waiting to pull me down when I am otherwise very fragile.

Why do I still sit on my recliner adjusted to accommodate Roxy so she could curl up and keep me warm?  Habit?  Even ingrained into my body movements and mechanics?  Yes.

My sweet, old, blind baby is gone.  She gave us 14 years of love and tenderness.  Just as I told her before and after her shot that night, thank you for loving me so very much honey.....for so very long.  

As we turned and left, I took one more look at my dog laying on the table so still. I wanted to bring her home, hold her in the blankie my son wrapped her in for the ride there, and chalk it up to the flu.  As we knew we would, we walked in the house empty-handed, in tears.

All there is now, is a very empty spot on the recliner by my legs.  It's no longer warm and soft there. 

I miss her so much that it hurts.

Goodbye Roxy....God how I love you.     




Gentle Hugs...

13 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. After two years, I still sometimes catch myself coming in the door and looking down the hall where our first boxer would always stand and wait as soon as she heard us putting the key in the door. It's so hard to lose a dog. Sending you lots of "gentle hugs"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Professor dear....

    Thank you honey for your kind words. I truly have no words right now, I just wanted to acknowledge you. Thank you for caring.

    Gentle Hugs ----<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gerri,

    Wow your dog lived to be 16!??!? And blind also like Roxy....

    I know I did the right and only thing but I am filled with guilt over little things but I know that is just the junk-talk in my head.

    Dog lovers are special people. Thanks for your sweet and caring comment Gerri.

    Gentle Hugs -----<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. My sweet little Jack Russell is my best friend and such a constant companion. They're a really fun breed. Dogs take up such a special place in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shauna,
    I am so sorry for your loss. However, I want you to know that Roxy has introduced me to your blog which I should have found years ago! I found it because I have an alert for anything related to suffering of dogs due to my love of my dogs; especially my rescue Yorkie.

    I also want to thank you for being the unique and wonderful person you are and I thank Roxy for loving you for 14 years. You deserved her and you proved that by showing your love for her the one way we can't show our human loved ones; through euthanasia; stopping the suffering when there is no way to better.

    Pamala

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diana...

    I just left a comment for you in the post that has a pic of your sweet puppy.

    Roxy never left my side--even when she was younger and we had just gotten up or something that her habit was then going back to sleep...she'd be so comfortable, and I'd need something from upstairs, and I'd get up to climb the stairs, and no matter how deep of a sleep she was in, I'd turn the corner to go back down the stairs, and every single time--she was there, starting her trot up the stairs after me. LOL Ahhh Jacks....

    I bred her with the male, and first of the 3 Jacks I would come to adore, when he died at 11, due to problems in his neck very, very similar to some of the exact problems I have in my back...the pain was just too much for him and he couldn't walk up or down the stairs and I couldn't carry him...he couldn't lift his poor little head up to look at me, (I was always down on his level), and surgery was too risky, anywayyyyy they made 4 little ones... and many years later, when it was just me and her; from that day forward that I did not come back with her hubby from the doctor....she never left my side.

    Thank you for the sweet comment.
    ----<3
    Gentle Hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Pamala,

    Ok, so I cried for awhile after I read your comment. Guess I needed it.

    The way you wrote is so beautiful, and the fact that is was Roxy that helped you find me....well that is just too much; especially if you feel a connection with my story and writing.

    My best friend has a Yorkie and absolutely adores her. She's another shadow following her master everywhere. :-)

    It is almost as if you know me the way you wrote the 2nd paragraph!!

    Another post that means so much to me right now that I have no words to describe how it makes me feel.

    Gentle Hugs----<3

    ...and now crying again...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shauna,

    I am so, so sorry for your loss. Clearly you loved Roxy very, very much and you did what was in her best interest. Your deep caring for Roxy surely resulted in her living a happy, peaceful, loving life. I am really sorry, Shauna. Allow yourself time to grieve this loss. You clearly loved Roxy dearly. Take good care of yourself!

    ((gentle hugs))

    <3

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweetest Jeanne....

    I read your comment yesterday morning, and just broke down. Had a very familiar noise wake me up (?) and the day was full of sorrow and missing her so much. You are a great support in my sad experience and I thank you for that J.

    Gentle (but sad) Hugs..

    -----<3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there. I am so very sorry about your loss. My ♥ hurts for you. I just found your blog today as I saw you were following my "Must We?" blog and I came to visit! I am so happy I found you. My main blog is "Scene of the Grime" and there, I sometimes talk about my life with chronic illness. I have chronic migraine disease (3-4 days/week; sometimes 7 days/week), asthma, and Meniere's dz. So, I def understand chronic pain. I have subscribed to your blog and I look forward to getting to know each other better. Also to reading your posts, I can see they're very helpful and inspirational. I appreciate what you're doing here. Hope you have a peaceful week and I'll be saying prayers for you as you miss your Roxy. God bless. ♥Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. first, thanks for visiting my blog.

    and second, I'm sorry for your loss. Pets, dogs specially, make us happy. Losing them makes us sad and because of that, I don't get too close to my family's dog even if his soulful eyes beg me for attention and company. I know that it's insensitive of me to ignore him most of the time but I too have lost a pet before him and it so hurt me and I don't want to feel that again. But anyway, my sister and her husband love Tipuh (our dog's name) so much he can't feel he lacks tender loving care at all.

    By the way, you remind of my best friend Esther. She loves her dog so much and her cat too. And she takes care of them with all her heart. I guess that shows she's a lot stronger and braver than me. And so are you. Just don't let your sorrow linger for long and don't let it stop you from acquiring another pet dog. I'm sure Roxy would understand.

    All for now,

    sally

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Laurie,

    Thank you so much for your kind words and I'm glad you enjoy my blog...I feel your prayers and all the love that He gives us in times of sorrow.

    Gentle Hugs...----<3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Sally,

    You sound like a very strong person to me!! The fact that you are protecting yourself from the ultimate and expected end of life of (any)your families dog is showing your soft side...Aren't those pleading eyes just too much??? You called them 'soulful'...perfect word!!

    I have no idea what the future holds for me and any more dogs. My body can not go into the positions repeatedly needed to train a puppy....even if I adopted an older dog...I just don't know right now. Guess that means I'm not ready to face the fact that I probably should not take on the loving care for another dog.

    ........a kitten maybe???? AHCHOO!

    Thanks for the kind words.
    Gentle Hugs...-----<3

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.