Friday, May 14, 2010

The Character of Strength in Chronic Pain

In the 17+ years of pain I have endured since my first back surgery, and for years before that-- during the undiagnosed and misdiagnosed reasons for my pain since I was in the Cheerleader hazing accident in High School; I have seen a strength inside that I never knew existed.  I've been a strong-minded woman my whole life, which means that I believe in telling my life truths, pushing through the pain--just to live, and absolutely amazing myself when I make myself do things like get ready and leave for a semi-lengthy drive to go pick up my prescriptions. 

Today was that day for me.  I was amazed at what I did, considering the past 5 days I have been dealing with a lot of high pain levels that left me so exhausted after 3 days straight; I slept through an entire day.  Between the physical toll pain takes on the body, plus the draining effects of medication; equals a very tired body and mind.  I'm surprised my head was so together today as laying down to sleep last night hurt so much, that after an hour I decided to get up again, and from there just stayed up.  This is a recipe for disaster, missing an entire night of sleep while still continuing to experience high pain levels, and on top of that, needing to get out and deal with what even 'normies' call a hassle.

I am certainly not tooting my own horn here.  I am tooting a celebratory horn for all my fellow pain sufferers that continue to fight on through the pain, to accomplish life's 'chores' that must be done that day.  When there is no one to help.  When we are left to use our natural strength.  There is a 'wordless' feeling I have when I feel this strength kick in.  Today that feeling kicked into high gear as I was dressing, knowing I should be taking it easy, yet I had no choice but to do what lay in front of me.   

Chronic Pain gives those of us who suffer daily, an opportunity to view ourselves as extremely strong and competent humans.  We may go out before the world with a false smile, to simply make everything 'easier', and smiling seems to push pain a little more in the background.  On the outside, the smile=strength.  On the inside, strength is carrying us through extremely painful moments.  On the inside--the pain.

You can pat yourself on the back a bit more please.  Let yourself know that you are proud of handling your life in strength; with strength.  Doing the things that must be done on your own, and with active, gnawing, deep, piercing, strangling, sword-like, constant pain.  Now that deserves a horn toot or two!

We who experience Chronic Pain, have built into us a certain very special attribute.  Strength.  I truly believe that it was bestowed upon us when our lives turned 180 degrees, leading us down this path of pain.  We have been blessed with something wonderful.  Recognize this in yourself, and give yourself as many kudos and horn toots as possible.

We walk an unusual path.  We have developed many coping mechanisms.  Being present, being in the moment, and being strong, will serve us to our benefit.  Since we truly live daily in our pain, many times by the second; this has given us a highly unusual way of living in the moment--something that many people strive to do in their lives, reading books like 'The Tao of Pooh' to try and achieve this which we were given the ability to do.  We do it naturally.  We live in TRUTH.  In the MOMENT.  We are STRONG.  

It's in there--you know this in your heart.

 Gentle Hugs...and may your day be a tolerable pain day.....of course no pain is my desire for all....but I know who I am writing to and we all know better.  ;-D

7 comments:

  1. Your postings always hit the right spot for the right day :-) Of course I'm convinced that anytime you write on any subject will be that way.

    My mantra is that you do what you gotta do regardless. If it's something that doesn't HAVE to be done, then it's okay to skip it if necessary.

    But sometimes we don't have a choice. And that means holding off on the pain meds till the chore is done (if it involves going out and driving!).

    Or planning ahead and taking the pain med 2-3 hours before having to go out so the main kick has worn off but the residual is there to hold the bad pain at bay.

    Driving under the influence of pain meds is NOT a good idea. However after years of dealing with pain and meds to alleviate pain, I do know what I can take and when, and still be able to drive safely.

    I have to plan for driving for dr appts, for example. So I schedule appts for mid-morning. That way I can eat properly to maintain my blood sugar levels and can take a pain med when I get up in the morning before the pain gets bad. After a couple of hours, my head is clear and I'm alert to drive but the residual effects of the pain meds are still working.

    I try to plan all appts and errands for mid-morning as I've learned over the years that this works best for me and my med regimen. People are different and everyone needs to figure out what works best for them.

    Great posting as are all of your postings! I do enjoy your blog so much!

    ((((((cyber hugs)))))) to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Shauna!! You are absolutely right, everyone who goes through chronic pain and manages to keep a smile on their face deserves to feel proud. It's not easy to do, the depressive thoughts are always there, waiting for you to trip up and fall into them. Thanks for the uplifting words :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    This is Vicky Silvers, I am an editor for Hospital.com. We are a medical publication whose focus is geared towards promoting awareness on hospitals, including information, news, and reviews on them. We would like to have our site included within your blog and offer our information to your readers, of course we would be more than happy to list your website within our directory as well.

    vicky silvers
    vicky.silvers@gmail.com
    www.Hospital.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, yes, everything you say is true, and yet . . . I'm still not strong enough for everything that comes my way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shauna,

    Living in the present moment... that's what it's all about. You're right that chronic illness/pain can actually help a person to do this. It truly can. I know it has helped me learn to do so. I am sorry for your pain, Shauna! :( I know that you are strong and have developed extensive coping mechanisms to manage. I'm sending positive energy your way!!

    *Gentle hugs*

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,

    My name is David Keating and I am a student at the University of Arizona. I am working with Dr. Steve Rains, who is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication. We are conducting a study about blogging and health and would greatly appreciate it if you would complete our survey. We found your blog by conducting a general search for blogs about health. We would like to know more about your experience blogging.

    Our survey takes about 20 minutes to complete. To participate, you must be (a) 18 years of age or older and (b) have made a blog entry in the past 30 days.

    If you meet these requirements and would like to participate, please click the link below. The study will be conducted online and the link will take you to the first webpage of the survey.

    http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/283578/blogging

    [Note: You may copy and paste the address directly into your web browser (i.e., Internet Explorer) to access the study.]

    If you have any questions or concerns about the study, you may contact Dr. Rains at: srains@email.arizona.edu

    Thanks for your consideration!


    Best Regards,

    David Keating
    **************************
    David Keating
    Department of Communication
    University of Arizona
    **************************

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shauna,

    Regarding your question:

    "Do you think that chronic pain patients do less 'running away' from our feelings? Not just physical pain, emotional pain also".

    I think it definitely depends on the person but I absolutely think that there are many chronic illness/pain patients who are able to develop the ability to deal with issues as they happen rather than bottling things up or pushing things off for later.

    Each person is unique, of course. However, chronic illness/pain can provide the motivation and the need to "live in the present moment" more than one might otherwise.

    Chronic illness/pain can actually help one to appreciate the little things that others take for granted... and make the patient more empathetic to others.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.