Monday, November 28, 2011

Fashion In Pain

Does your closet reflect how you feel inside??  Can you wear anything you'd like to?  Or has your personal fashion-sense been stifled?

You want to wear those darling boots with the buckles, but they are 2 1/2 inch heels.  You still love your unique taste, and want to express yourself.  Does your body say otherwise?

I had a funeral (of sorts) for my beautiful high heels recently.  Well, most of them.  I look back to the days I could wear 3 inch heels for work all day long while traveling Southern CA setting up promotions for Shiseido Cosmetics, and only had to deal with the 'normal' my feet hurt after a long day sensation.

Now, if I wore high heels for more than about a half-hour, my spine would be thrown dramatically out of alignment, instant and severe muscle spasms begin immediately; the awkward position of the spine when wearing high heels, is possibly causing more pain!!

I was bummed to have to get rid of the very shoes that only serve to do all great things:  They make my legs look better, longer, they give them a nice shape, and also are considered sexy by some.  I just like the way they look.  I like the fashion of a short boot with a high heel.  They are so cute, dressed up with my new leg warmers I discovered makes for a fun look.  But what does it do to  my pain and comfort levels?  Nothing good, that's for certain.  When it hurts like you had walked from CA to NY in them, that is not very realistic. (And I mean your back is hurt, not your feet.)

Oh, great.  Comfort.  Comfortable shoes.  Good for your spine, or at the least, not contributing to increased pain levels.  Comfortable shoes--sorry, but it brings to mind black waitress shoes, or maybe I should start wearing my prized nursing shoes around town.

Where is the line drawn for comfort, yet satisfy a gal who loves fashion? I understand this subject is not strictly about spinal pain with higher heels, it also covers those who may not be able to have fabric touch certain parts of the body, needing altered clothing to cover scars or other issues, those who have to deal with club foot and just finding shoes at all that do not cause extreme pain, on and on.  Of course here I am focusing on the spine.

My back surgeries left scars on the Thoracic spine; T5 to about T12.  The placement of them was excellent and after time has passed they are hardly noticeable, unless standing right behind me.  I wear sundresses a lot in the summer, backless, exposing my back scars.  I don't care one bit, and it has even started conversations when I am in line, and the person behind me asks about the scars.

I suppose it is shoes that is my only real fashion issue....I have come to love flats, or a very small heel with a platform either inside the shoe or a regular platform, which helps distribute the weight and helps stop that unnatural pitch forward that comes with regular heels.  I found some cute suede boots that are slouchy, and flat.  Comfortable, and easy to pull on.


Do you have issues with your spine, or other areas that are affected by what you are wearing?  What do you do to try and cover both bases of being fashionable, and of wearing clothes and shoes that don't contribute to more pain?  I would love to hear your fashion tips!!  


Gentle Hugs.... and Stay strong ~just for today~

9 comments:

  1. I had an eBay send off for my heels after I developed CRPS. I couldn't just throw them out, it was much easier to pass my darlings onto new owners (although I must admit I felt a bit evil when posting the pair of shoes that I was actually wearing when I did this!). It quite amazed me that people were willing to buy others' old shoes. Great, though! I have also come to love flats, there are lots of pretty ones around and geez it's easier to get around in them :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really never have been able to wear heels....I am a klutz. At five foot one I would love to tower above my ten year old nephew. I have had to give up carrying great hangbags if they are heavy. Sometimes I just put my I.D. and credit card and a lip gloss in my pocket. Oh well, I never was into fashion. When I did work I wore an unflaterring uniform, and men-type shoes.
    mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have issues with clothing and shoes that aggravate my back pain. Since my pain is not just my lumbar spine but also in my pelvis (broken SI joint on left, SI joint dysfunction on the right)I have increased pain from pressure on my pelvis or lower back. I am bothered by elastics that are too tight, fabrics that don't "give" (such as jeans), shoes with heels,(even short heels), and pants etc. Skirts or shorts made of a loose fabric (and a little too big) are the most comfortable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my heels too! After six years, I finally got rid of my dancing shoes. I know I'll never dance again but damn it was hard to let those gold and silver shoes go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haley, Mo and Ms. Missy,

    Thank you all for your input on fashion while we continue to deal with our daily pain!! Whilst attempting to keep and even improve on our own personal senses of style; we have an opportunity to find an even smarter style sense--by also treating our bodies correctly. I'm always up for a challenge, and have found the style issue can bring in some ideas I may have not looked at before. When there are restrictions on our attire due to pain, that can give us an opportunity to examine some new styles, and see how we look in something that is actually comfy!!

    YES there are cute non-high-heels out there!!

    Gentle Hugs girls-----<3
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Professor!!!

    I am so sorry because I KNOW how hard that must have been for you sweetie!!!

    ** Honey I am having a hard time getting to your blog....can you help me on that one??

    Gentle Hugs-----<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI FRIEND,

    I enjoyed your post - it is honest and tender. Like you, I suffer from back issues (i have 8 herniated discs) and other health issues (plantar facitiss in both heels) and issues with both knees. And, like you my, feet fashion' has dramatically been altered.

    That-being-said, I have found that Jeffrey Campbell shoes ARE indeed a fashion saviour. His styles are interesting, funky, daring, and no matter the heel height COMFORTABLE. And by comfortable, I mean that I can wear them for an evening, not for an entire day. His shoes are carried on many on-line sites like 'endless', 'shoe.com' , 'karma loops' and 'pixie market'.

    ox Jen
    have a great day, and may it exceed your expectations
    please visit my bolt at http://jensurvivingthelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen,

    Thanks for your input on this fashion-challenged subject of ours!! Great to know about the Jeffrey Campbell shoes, I haven't even looked for heels over the past few years. My strappy sexy high-heeled sandals still sit at the back of my closet--just can't get rid of them for some reason!

    I will visit your site honey, and we can exchange links....

    Gentle Hugs------<3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great subject! I live with chronic severe back pain but I still like to look good! Although it is very annoying to hear people remark, "oh, you're in pain? - but you look so good" grrrr. I haven't been able to wear high heels for many years, and have designed my wardrobe around comfy but still very funky boots and flats. My favourite shoes are from a Spanish company, El Naturalista, who make super comfy leather shoes with thick rubber soles. Just the other day though, I did buy myself a pair of sexy black high heel boots for the bedroom - I can't walk around in them, but I can still wear them lying down and look hot!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.