Saturday, August 14, 2010

Chronic Pain Series #3--Educating Others About Your Medications

     Do You Have Issues With Others Regarding Your Pain Medications?


Have you found that some of those around you do not understand, or, may have negative attitudes towards your choice to take medications as a part of your Pain Management regime?


Let's talk about this issue. 


As my blogging on this subject of Chronic Pain has reached nearly three years, of those that have told me their stories, those I know personally, and myself included, all have a common thread running thourgh this journey in pain.

We have people in our lives that disagree with our decision to take medications for pain.  I have found it is those that are the closest to us that seem to be bothered the most. 

All this is, is un-education on the subject.  Pure and simple.  If we have doctors who hesitate to prescribe pain  medications, or have a predisposed attitude towards the incorrect belief that all patients will become 'addicts', then how can we expect the medically uneducated to understand anything about our decision to take these medications? 

We can't blame them.  Yet we can change this.  By educating those that love us.  Those who truly care, and because of not understanding the entire picture, simply need us to sit down, and have a very open conversation with them.  It is time to teach, to educate, to explain. 

First, they need to understand WHY you are taking these medications.  What is your diagnosis?  Your prognosis?  Your history of surgeries, procedures, years of complaints of something wrong in your body; do they know about all of this in your life?

This is YOUR LIFE!  You are not your pain; you have pain.  We are not defined by our pain, yet it may be at a level in which you can no longer do certain things anymore due to your pain.  That is when I do feel that I am, at that moment, defined by my pain. 

Pain has kept me from many special events I had been looking forward to attending.  Unable to leave my home, at that one moment, at that one time of day, that second in which I realize that there is absolutely no way I can first of all, do what it takes to prepare myself to go, then the drive there, and straight into the event. 

That feeling is overwhelming, as we grieve the inability to do what we were looking so forward to doing.  As those types of situations arise, the medications we take are a huge section of our relief of pain program.  If those that were looking forward to us coming, do not understand our inability to make it; along with not understanding or agreeing with our choice to take medications, we then have a responsibility to talk to them, and speak openly.  Then possibly there comes the 'b' word, 'but', as in, "But I don't agree with your choice to take medications".  That attitude conveys to us immediately that there is a wall up in the other person, before we can begin to breach the subject with them. 

We, the people who live in pain on a daily basis, and the pain has interrupted and affected our lives to include our friends and family; want nothing more than to have open minds on both sides, so we can teach and have an interactive conversation.

Looks like another post to examine more closely, exactly how to start this needed conversation.  Also, some of the most important issues we must discuss with those that love us; and what to do when you have a 'but' that keeps you from feeling able to speak openly.

Big subject.  If you have experienced negative attitudes and incorrect beleifs surrounding your medications. please feel free to let me know your story in comments.  Always feel free to email me also; but leaving a comment allows others to read your stories, and together we are stronger, with a plethera of ideas from others just waiting to be shared.

Let's start a discussion on this subject.                             

 As Always--Gentle Hugs...

8 comments:

  1. Hi. I have chronic migraine (3-4+ per week) and asthma. My experience is that people are uncomfortable with me mentioning my illnesses/medications/etc. (a huge part of my daily life) - I guess b/c they can't fix it and don't know what to say to me. This is why I am very private about my situation. I don't want to open myself to being hurt, esp about a subject that is such a battle for me. I often feel belittled or even ignored if I go out on a limb and dare to refer to my problems with my loved ones. Thank God, my husband is so very suppportive and this makes it all easier. And it always helps to know there ARE those out there in the world who DO understand and empathize. Blessings, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The subject of pain meds never comes up with anyone except immediate family (hubby and grown kids) and even that is rare. It's just not something that enters into conversations. Who needs to know? No one. If I'm changing a med (with doc's approval) or if I find something out about a current or new med, I might mention to hubby that I'm going to ask the doc about it. That's as far as it goes.

    Well hubby has mentioned on several occasions over the years that he's noticed my pain has increased and had I considered talking to the doc about finding something more effective?

    His interest and opinions are from concern about how well a drug manages my pain. If it's not working so well, then he encourages me to talk to the doc about trying something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that I generally don't talk about my meds, other than with doctors or my partner, who is thankfully very understanding! I hate the stigma attached to needing painkillers, especially when the condescension is coming from those who have never experienced the kind of pain that the person in front of them is in. It frustrates me to no end that I have to visit the doctor every few weeks for prescriptions because they have tight laws regarding painkillers. These laws were made to prevent people abusing them, however this can cause much more extra stress for those who truly need them! I think that, in general, society needs to stop being so judgmental. Suffering chronic pain might make us need medication some or all of the time, but that doesn't make us the same as a thrill seeking street user!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA It's been so long since I was "high" that I can't even remember! Actually it was during a hand surgery when they kept me awake (but obviously pain meds and such so I never felt any of the surgery. The funny thing was that what they gave me was supposed to put me in that "twilight" sleep but instead, I could've walked on the ceiling. The surgeon and I told jokes the whole time, trying to outdo each other's jokes. I'm not sure but I think I may have let loose with some dirty jokes :-) At least they all thought it was funny. No telling what you'll say when you're high! Served 'em right for not putting my ass to sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chronic back pain can become a life long burden for me. I never had a problem with a constant chronic back pain for the first 3 years of my back pain experience. My problem was with recurring bouts of horrible acute back pain. As I got older , the pain became constant and chronic. I still had flare ups of acute pain, but when the intensity died down, the dull aching chronic pain would always be there. I gone through this but I never lose hope! Thanks to my family:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! PROFESSOR:

    Yep, those days gone by of getting any feeling of euphoria from any medications used for our pain are long gone, and short-lasting when it did happen, such as directly after surgery with a PCA pump, and especially 'twilight sleep' as you speak of.

    Our bodies, utilizing the medicine directly into our opiate receptors, are busy then metabolizing these molecular compounds, while we simply wait and hope for those receptors to become filled with the medicine, and have some type of positive effect on our pain.

    HA! Is correct. At least you can tell jokes while HS! (Heavily Sedated)

    DAPHNE: It is very interesting how you worded what you said, for you basically described in great overall terms, exactly how my pain cycle was also. I wish you the very best, I'm so glad to hear of the support you have from your family.

    That is rare, and you are quite fortunate. :-D

    Gentle Hugs to you gals----<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shauna,

    Sadly, I think most people who haven't lived with chronic pain firsthand or witnessed from "close range" (i.e. spouses or partners) cannot comprehend what it's like.

    I'm all about education and awareness but not everyone is able to be open to learning about details like how many surgeries one has had or what diagnosis/diagnoses there are.

    Some people (including the patient's loved ones) get overwhelmed and feel helpless. Depending on the personality of a given loved one, attempts to educate may go nowhere.

    Even when there is a supportive spouse/partner in the picture, it helps for chronic pain patients to have each other to talk to. Support from fellow patients is so important... even if there is a supportive partner/spouse.

    Even the most supportive of partners can get overwhelmed (or "saturated"), as my dear husband puts it. My husband is incredibly supportive and certainly never judges me for the treatment options I pursue. At the same time, I know when I'm better off seeking support from fellow patients than from him.

    I've learned how to gauge when he's "saturated" with chronic illness issues. It works best for both of us if I turn to fellow patients at those times.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jeanne hun!!

    I can so relate to what you are saying.

    You have an awesome hubby and I have always been so happy for you that he is supportive and caring and obviously adores you. <3

    We know that a person without the actual experience of constant pain themselves can not relate to us. This is where you all come into the picture in my life. You, who have found the words to speak of your lives, and share them with the others who experience nearly the same thing. I will never forget those special people I have met online and have received more support from, than my own family. (Except for my angel Sue!) And I have been told that by other pain sufferers over and over again. :-(

    It was hard for me to write one of the series posts, I had to be brutally honest, and realize that speaking the truth about how people in daily pain are treated so differently than those who are short-term, acute pain patients; is something that truly hurts us, for then it becomes almost as if we are forgotten.

    The comments and feelings from those of 'us' that understand each other, again, helped me to understand even more, (and I didn't think that was possible,) that others who experience the same as ourselves, will also have more patience for many things we may need to talk about.

    And for you I am also thankful.

    Gentle Hugs my friend---<3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.