Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blog Action Day 2009--Buy more to consume less!!

On this Blog Action Day 2009, with the subject being 'Climate Change', I am going to say something that sounds completely paradoxical, yet makes sense!

When we purchase anything from the market for instance, to lessen our carbon footprint, reduce the amount of packaging used and actually pay less for the total amount of the item; is better for our wallets and more important, the issue of Climate Change; or Global Warming, try to buy in bulk.

Less overall packaging is used when bulk items are packaged. Think of that box of 6 granola bars. It takes six plastic wrappers, and a large amount of cardboard just to hold those six little bars; with way too much room to spare.......


If we purchase those same granola bars in bulk size, the overall amount of packaging materials is less! We can pay less per ounce for the same food item, and the packaging it takes to produce a bulk item, will be much less than the packaging for the one box of those same granola bars.

I know that for many, especially in these tough economic times; it is hard to put out the money all at one time for an item in bulk, that we could buy for less if we just purchased the small package. Yet overall, it will cost less to buy the bulk, and that will save us money on items that we use regularly.

More important, to buy in bulk reduces the amount of packaging needed to obtain the very same item. Anything that we can do to help the earth is the one most important issues we face today. The outcome of even the seemingly smallest of actions that we can take, can, and will make a difference.

It has always bothered me that so much packaging is used to hold a relatively small amount of the product we are buying. We all know the potato chip issue. Supposedly that huge amount of nothing at the top of the bag is to give the chips some 'room'. It seems to be a race within the companies that manufacture chips, to see who can have the biggest bag, to try and make us think we are getting 'more'!

Many times, when the groceries are being put away in my home, I take them out of their outer packaging simply because I don't have a lot of room in which to store the larger-than-necessary boxes, bags, or cartons which hold the products. I then put the freed smaller inner items into a tupperware or other stackable container. It is truly amazing how much can fit in cupboards once out of the original containers! Waste, waste waste!

What is sad though, is to see the stack of the outer packaging after that is done, especially if done all at once after a large grocery trip. The saddest of this all to me is knowing that I alone can not change how companies package their products! Yet I can change the amount of outer packaging they use, and in turn I consume, by purchasing a larger amount of that product at one time.

If we ALL do just one or two things that are realistic for each of our individual lives, we can change the rate at which excess is consumed. This, in turn, will make a difference in the Climate Change of our planet.

Just an idea....What do you think can be done to help??

Now if ice cream could just be bought in the same way-- and FIT into the freezer!!

For more information on helping out the planet that sustains our lives, go to http://blogactionday.cmail2.com/t/y/l/ulirtd/tthlilod/b to see a list of all the bloggers that participated in today's subject, and there is bound to be something there that you find fits in with your life, and many ways to help the Climate Change slow down. There have been 150 COUNTRIES that have written about this in their blogs today!! Global Warming and the resulting Climate Change, is the most important of issues facing all of us today.


Gentle Hugs... <3

6 comments:

  1. God bless you. You have been so courageous in dealing with adversity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abundance begets waste. But in my case, there is no cause for me to do so as I live a pretty much frugal life.

    I have been living practically all my life and I have my way of combating climate change.

    While you focus on the packing and the storing of foods; I focus on the real thing.

    For instance, as I live alone, I don't use the washing machine to wash my clothes including linens. I wash by the hands and I used the rinsed water in watering my plants.

    Every drop of water used in washing clothes and china will go outside to water my little garden if not I water the ground or lawn.

    Because we are under water restriction, if I find time, I wake up early in the morning to give the plants real bath; not everyday though, to let the soil get soaked instead of watering it in broad daylight only to be quickly absorbed by the sun.

    Just one of those simple practical thing I could share.

    Thanks for following my Appreciation Blog. You are one of those who deserves Appreciation. I'll come back another day to read more of your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shauna,

    I love your enthusiastic blog post about climate change. I too participated in Blog Action Day.

    Sadly, I didn't write the post I'd envisioned in my head because I have been battling for 18 days now with the fact that an impostor is posing as me on twitter. So, I had to be realistic and do the best I could for my post.

    I know that when we get groceries we use re-usable bags rather than paper or plastic. We also recycle an immense amount of stuff. It really is incredible when you see multiple packages gathered together. They really do take lots of space.

    Hope you are feeling better!

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog and this information is very useful to everyone.q

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOURS FAITHFULLY:

    Thank you for your simple and heartfelt comment. Words such as those help me to go on dealing with this relentless pain. <3

    BONNIE:

    I love the way you have found to help our planet. Great ideas for all!! Thanks so much for sharing your contirbution to the idea of re-using.... <3

    HI JEANNE!!! Great to see you!! I know you have been dealing with your Twitter problems. So sorry that has happened and has affected you so adversely. I wish so much for you that this ends and you can get back to blogging. We miss you!!! Gentle Hugs honey....<3

    Jhon: Im glad that you found my blog useful. amd I hope you come back to visit and read...I promise to all that I will start my blogging again on a more regular basis, regardless of my pain! Gentle Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shauna! I'm so glad you had a chance to pop in and say hi. I had no idea that the Temperpedic pillows were too squishy. I don't like squishy myself-- as you know.

    I'm glad I could help and I hope you find a good sales person that will take the time to help you-- that really makes a lot of difference.

    We trained constantly when we were selling mattresses and bedding-- it's tough to get the trust in a customer because they really do feel silly-- I know I did-- especially with a screaming child.

    Thanks again for stopping by and I'll chat with you soon I hope. Happy holidays!
    Stay fabulous,

    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.