Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The 'Graditude Attitude'

Just for a moment; imagine suffering with pain on a daily basis. What is it like?  How does it make an individual feel?



 


   


Pain can give ALL of us a negative attitude, many times mixed with other emotions: depression, anxiety, anger, frustration.  Those who do not suffer from Chronic Pain can easily look back over times in which they had acute pain from a fall, a cut, (even paper cuts hurt quite a bit!), a stubbed toe, or a finger caught in a door being closed; and remember the stabbing feeling of the pain, along with the emotions felt in that moment.


Those who have felt the anger and despair of being in pain, even those whose pain resolves, will tend to lean toward looking at the negative of this experience.  It is not easy, nor does it feel natural, to be happy and feel 'up', when pain is involved. 


Three days ago, on a very high pain day, I was thinking about what I couldn't do; walk my dog, do the wash loads, clean up the kitchen, and all the other 'normal' things that those without pain can do so easily after a day at work, and especially on a day off. 


I realized I was thinking in an "I can't" attitude.  Yet what was I to feel so grateful for when all I could do was sit against the heating pad?  Sit, and not be able to feel very grateful for the pain I have been given.


When I examined the depth of my tears in that moment, I saw so much inside them.


I saw my son.  My handsome, funny, intelligent, empathetic, quick-witted, lovable son.  I saw gratitude then.  I saw that my attitude of what I don't have, can't do, or was unable to involve myself in, was completely unnecessary. 


I HAVE!  I CAN!  I AM ABLE!  I have an Attitude of Gratitude when I look at the people in my life that have impacted me in a positive way.  When I realize what I have in my jewel of a son.  In my best friend.  In my siblings.  In the people I have met through this blog.


Being in pain is not something that is easily dealt with.  Yet I can, will, and do have 'The Gratitude Attitude'.  No, I am not grateful for my pain.  I am in no way happy that I was in an accident that has started a life of Chronic Pain.  I don't understand why my Spinal Cord is getting impeded by my own bones.  But if I think about that, if I think LIKE that, there is no room for Gratitude.


I choose to begin working the 'Gratitude Attitude'. 


All I need to do, is focus on the wonderful people in my life.  However close, however far away, these people can become part of my daily thinking in a positive way; actually helping me to achieve the type of thinking I need to practice.  Especially when I really hurt!


I'd love to hear what YOUR 'Gratitude Attitude' is.....What do you think about?  What are YOU grateful for???  There is so, so much if you thoroughly examine your life.  We pain sufferers have much to be grateful for; even though our lives are extremely hard and a huge daily struggle.  Just try it out. 


The 'Gratitude Attitude' can, and will change your outlook on your life.    

                  








 

 




12 comments:

  1. My gratitude attitude is all over the place. I am grateful for family and friends who love me. I am grateful to have a home to live in and a loving son with whom to share it. I am grateful for the days when I feel no pain and am so surprised that my mind keeps searching my body for its constant companion. I am grateful that, on occasion, my mind remembers past events and focuses on the present situation. It is then able to take it one step further and plan for the future. I am grateful for the people (as if by magic) who come to my rescue when I am in need. They come financially,
    emotionally, informatively, and most of all they come lovingly.

    Thank you, Shauna, for allowing me the opportunity to stop and take a GRATITUDE moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Kindred Spirit,

    I am more than happy that you are able to just list off so many things that are in the Gratitude category!! After I wrote that, I realized I wanted to add my puppy, my longest friendship I have, past loves, new loves, anyone who has touched my life in any way, my home, (a roof these days is something to be VERY grateful for), I could have just gone on and on.

    They are all where it matters. My heart.

    Thanks for a very uplifting comment KS, you really made me feel as what I wrote did touch someone!!

    Your KS

    P.S. Looks like something is wrong with the comment section, it's set to accept open comments, but some are showing up as needing moderating! And of course Speedcat is one of them...oh, do we need to watch over everything that boy does??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunflowers are making a bow here? AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it is all to easy. Easy meaning "forgeting about the positive in the currents of pain".

    Pain can be so many things. I am blessed to not be under a constant barrage of physical pain, yet seem to be assulted with mental pain and stress consistantly. I also feel the physical pain after long days at work. I do massive amounts of physical output and am not the vibrant 20 year old I once was.
    Many days, after coming home, I find it difficult to walk.
    I cannot compare my own life to yours, nor what you deal with. Nor am I trying to create pity. What I am attempting in my own rambling manner is that I understand what this post means.
    Loosing sight of blessings ... and the many blessing that come in disguise.
    How wonderful that you can peer through the glasses the tear you down, and still see the sunlight, and the flowers that grow in sandy soil. That can be so very powerful.

    I feel the pain you speak about in your writing. No, not physically, but through your eloquent use of the English language.

    As always .... a BIG hug
    and God bless

    Your friend in Minnesota,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. well this is where my heart lies

    ReplyDelete
  6. We live in a world of pain.
    We live in a world of ignorance.
    I wish more people had your attitude.
    Then this would be a better place.
    Be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Digital Polaroids,

    Isn't that amazing??? I have never seen that before!! It represented perfectly the feeling when the pain has gotten me so down...that is how I 'look' inside.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Eric,

    Wow. What a comment. All I can say is I know what you mean in everything you say.

    I am more than humbled to have you compliment my writing! THAT means a lot coming from you....the published golfer! (Oops, I mean AUTHOR!) hehe

    I know I have a friend back in the cold of Minnesota, maybe someday that will one of my Travel Nursing destinations!!

    Peace and love always,

    Shauna ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buddha,

    What beautiful words!! Thank you!!

    It is not always a positive day in my life, it is the trying to make it positive that makes it all worth it, as I believe that if you try something, you then have experience from that attempt, and now I can pull out of me the most positive experiences from over the decades I've been in pain, and remember a song that peps me up, or get out to a favorite park, have a long talk with my son, or watch a favorite movie like, "FRIEDA"; which all lead to a much better attitude, resulting in a much lower pain level, and heck, may as well feel as good as possible mentally; while your body is screaming silently in pain.

    Thank you again for visiting, and your very upbeat and complimentary comment!

    Shauna ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My last comment was kind of "blah blah politikki" .... so I am here to leave another comment!

    "Hope you are having a great week" !!!!!!!

    Your pal, the Published and prize winning author, Speedy

    he heeee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eric,

    Please stop your bragging. Oh wait, you have the right to!!!

    He heeeeeee back at ya! :-)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.