Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Chance To Educate Others About Pain

I am obviously a couple days late on the 'Blogging Against Disabilism Day", but the author of this day said that knowing we all have disabilities that would be just fine.

This post will be short, as what I have to say is 'short and sweet'.

When I get a famous blue sticker on my car, will I get "The Look" from those that do not understand everyone that uses one of these is not in a chair??

Will I get the looks AND an argument?

NO. And do you know why? Because although I may be the only one that knows that my pain is the reason I need to park close to a store, and that my pain is on the inside and that no one can SEE my reason for the disabled parking sticker, I will never, ever, get into an argument with anyone.

This is a time for teaching. A time to let other know that there are hundreds of invisible illnesses. I can educate them.

And THAT is what having an invisible illness is all about. Educating others.

Gentle Hugs

<3

This wonderful idea came from Diary of a Goldfish. Thanks for doing this, great idea, and there are so many wonderful posts that have been written!!

3 comments:

  1. Shauna, I've had my application for the blue hang tag sitting in my desk drawer for two years now. I just haven't been able to convince myself to send it in to the DMV.

    If you think that people will give you strange looks over a handicapped parking spot, try getting on an elevator on the second floor to go down to the first! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweet Carleen....

    You have told me that before, do people REALLY have an attitude about you doing that? I wouldn't think anything of it but 'doh', I guess we are in our own little 'world' that understands that!

    All the people without pain, etc., have every right to go from 2 to 1. And so many people use the elevator just for that! Or 8 to 9, etc. No one uses the stairs these days, we are a lazy society for the most part!

    I know what you mean though honey. For me to get that form and the first time I use it will be a real heart-pounding experience. But I am not going to help along time and ruin my spine anymore than it is--just to not get "The looks"!! I am now having trouble when standing Carl..8-(

    Gentle Hugs sweetie... <3

    P.S. ***MAIL YOUR APPLICATION!!**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shauna, I have got so wrapped up in your post of pain management. With hydrocephalus it's not know as common to have constant pain.

    I joined a link off your site My invisable condition. I have not yet found anyone with my condition but I am so excited to find people like me.

    It is hard to understand pain if you have never felt it like we do.

    I am thankful for finding yout site.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.